Does fluxless solder exist? If so, help me

• Thread starter ochreyes
  • Start date
In summary, the expert says that you need to use fluxless solder if you want to solder wires on a surface that will be inside a UHV chamber. You should also use clean crimps if you want to make a connection that will be inside a UHV chamber.
ochreyes
Hi guys,
I have been commanded by my superior to find a "fluxless solder." I can't find anything like this except for vague allusions to tin-gold alloys, but once I investigate them further, I hit a dead end.

Basically, we want to solder wires on a surface that will be inside a UHV chamber.

Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sure fluxless solder exists but it is unlikely you will be able to solder with it unless you apply flux to the pieces you are soldering. Solder used for plumbing these days contains no lead and is solid wire, therefore containing no flux. Flux is applied to the pipe fittings with a brush and they are put together, heated and when hot enough to flow solder, the molten solder is drawn into the joint. I have attempted to solder pipes without flux and it is completely pointless to attempt it. I have also tried soldering pipes with a flux core solder and it works, but not as well. Don't do it for plumbing since you will likely end up with lead solder which is not legal for plumbing.

Welcome to PF;
- you go to a hardware store or a plumbing supplies and you ask for it. You get a stick of some metal alloy and a tin of flux.

But you may mean that you have to solder the wires without using flux at all.

Flux basically cleans the surfaces to be joined (removes oxides and inhibits further oxidation). Since you will be soldering in vaccuo(?), oxidation may not be a problem. What you use will depend on the exact method.

Why didn't you just ask your superior what is usually used?

Google solid core solder. It is very common.

An electronics store will also have small reels of fluxless solder for use with 25 watt soldering irons. Usefull for circuit boards and small wire. check out somebody such as Radio shack or similar. If you clean you wires completely and depending upon their makeup - silver alloy wire does not need flux most times but tin it and the connection ( coat with solder ) before soldering the wire to the connection

DON'T USE ACID FLUX FOR SOLDERING ELECTRONICS.
The flux sold in hardware store for soldering plumbing contains acid.
In the old days if acid flux was used for a kit, the warranty was void.
A technician at work used acid type flux and the flux shorted 115 volt terminals spaced maybe 3/8" apart.

ochreyes said:
Basically, we want to solder wires on a surface that will be inside a UHV chamber.
It's not good enough to first solder using flux, then remove all traces of excess flux before placing into the chamber?

NascentOxygen said:
It's not good enough to first solder using flux, then remove all traces of excess flux before placing into the chamber?

For UHV work you shouldn't use any solder. Their vapor pressures are too high.

Use clean crimps.

@Ochreyes: solved the problem?

1. What is fluxless solder?

Fluxless solder is a type of solder that does not require the use of flux during the soldering process. Flux is a chemical agent that is typically used to remove oxides from the surfaces being soldered and to prevent new oxides from forming. Fluxless solder contains a small amount of flux in its core, which is released when heated, allowing for the solder to flow and bond with the surfaces without the need for additional flux.

2. Why would someone want to use fluxless solder?

There are a few reasons someone might choose to use fluxless solder. Flux can be messy and difficult to clean up after soldering. Fluxless solder eliminates the need for flux, making the soldering process cleaner and potentially faster. Additionally, flux can sometimes leave behind a residue that can cause corrosion if not properly cleaned, whereas fluxless solder does not have this issue.

3. Does fluxless solder exist?

Yes, fluxless solder does exist. It is commonly used in industries such as electronic manufacturing and jewelry making. However, the term "fluxless" can be misleading, as all solder contains some amount of flux, even if it is not visible. Fluxless solder simply means that no additional flux is needed during the soldering process.

4. Can you provide any tips for using fluxless solder?

When using fluxless solder, it is important to ensure that the surfaces being soldered are clean and free of any oxides. Otherwise, the small amount of flux in the solder may not be enough to properly remove the oxides and create a strong bond. It is also recommended to use a soldering iron with temperature control, as the release of flux in fluxless solder is dependent on heat.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using fluxless solder?

One potential disadvantage of using fluxless solder is that it may not be as effective in removing oxides as traditional flux. This can result in weaker bonds and potential failure of the solder joint over time. Additionally, because fluxless solder does not contain a separate flux, it may have a shorter shelf life compared to traditional solder that is stored with flux. It is important to follow manufacturer's instructions for proper storage and use of fluxless solder.