My engine oil is green color. Its normal?

In summary: It's quite normal for motor oil to have a greenish color, especially when it is new. Some brands, such as Klotz, Amzoil, Stihl, Echo, and Husqvarna, have different colored oils for branding purposes. As long as the old oil looked clean and not like dark sludge, there is no need to worry. Stihl even claims that their green oil is 80% biodegradable in just 21 days. However, if you want to play it safe, you can always save your old motor oil for Earth Day and use it to start a fire.
vtr1005
today i did a oil change on my outboard engine. i found out the oil is green, its normal? If yes, why the oil will be green color? because i fill the new oil is golden color.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Some brands of motor oil are greenish colored when "new". Maybe the previous oil change used one of those.

If the old oil looked "clean" (i.e. not dark colored sludge) I wouldn't worry about it.

I agree w/ AlephZero. I've used very greenish oil and as long as it is clean there's no problem. I don't know what goes in it that makes it greenish, but not to worry.

Klotz is red, Amzoil is green, Stihl oil is bright green, Echo oil is gold, Husqvarna oil is blue.
Oh those germans..Stihl says their green oil is 80%biodegradable in 21 days...good marketing ploy..me ... i save my old motor oil until Earth day when I have a huge bonfire. Old motor oil is great to start fire for my old race car tires...

Last edited:
vtr1005 said:
today i did a oil change on my outboard engine. i found out the oil is green, its normal? If yes, why the oil will be green color? because i fill the new oil is golden color.

If it is for the lower unit then they usually take gear oil which has a greenish hue (and stinky!). Are you perhaps talking about that or we discussing the engine oil?

1. Why is my engine oil green in color?

Engine oils can come in a variety of colors, including green. The color of your engine oil can be affected by additives and dyes used by the manufacturer. In most cases, if your engine oil is green, it is likely due to the presence of an additive that helps to improve the oil's performance and protect your engine.

2. Is green engine oil normal?

Yes, green engine oil is considered normal and is used by many car manufacturers. It is important to note that color alone should not be used as an indicator of the oil's quality or effectiveness. It is always best to refer to the manufacturer's recommendations for the type of oil to use in your specific vehicle.

3. Does the green color of my engine oil mean it is synthetic?

Not necessarily. While some synthetic oils may have a green tint, not all green engine oils are synthetic. Many conventional oils also use additives that can give them a green color. It is important to check the label or consult the manufacturer to determine if your oil is synthetic or conventional.

4. Will green engine oil affect my engine's performance?

No, the color of your engine oil has no direct impact on its performance. The performance of your engine oil is determined by its viscosity, additives, and other factors. As long as you are using the type of oil recommended for your vehicle, the color should not affect its performance.

5. Should I be concerned if my engine oil is green?

If the color is the only issue and you are using the correct type of oil for your vehicle, then there is no need for concern. However, if you notice any unusual smells, consistency, or other changes in your engine oil, it is always best to have it checked by a professional to ensure there are no underlying problems.