System curve and Bernoulli equation problem

In summary, the given conversation discusses the application of the Bernoulli equation and the system curve to a pump system where water is being pumped from one tank to another. The conversation also delves into the calculation of the power required by the pump, taking into account factors such as pressure head, velocity head, and friction losses. The conversation also addresses questions about assumptions and approaches to solving the problem.
spinoza

Homework Statement

I have a pump pumping 50 gallons per minute of water from a tank at atmospheric pressure to another tank at atmospheric pressure. The main discharge pipe (internal diameter is 4.03 inches) is divided onto 5 smaller pipes (internal diameter is 1.05 inches). The pressure on each on the smaller pipes is 26.3 psia. But as I said before, the discharge tank is at atmospheric pressure.
I’m trying to do 2 different things:
1. Apply the Bernoulli equation to this system, specifically between points A, which is the pump suction, and points B1, B2, B3, B4 and B5 which are the 5 discharge points in order to know the work that the pump must supply to achieve this pressure on points B1-B5.
2. Draw the system curve for this situation. The system curve is basically total head vs flow rate.

Homework Equations

From what I understand the total head of a pump can be expressed as follows:

Total head = Static head + Friction loss throughout the system + pressure head (if the system has it) + velocity head (negligible)

Where:

Static Head: Static head represents the net change in height, in feet, that the pump must overcome
Pressure Head: When liquid is pumped from a vessel at one pressure to a vessel at another pressure, pressure head exists. If there is no difference between the 2 vessels, then it does not.

When applying the Bernoulli equation between the points, I get:

ηWp = (5Pb/ρ) + (g*Zb/gc) + (5(Vb^2)/(2*gc)) - (Pa/ρ) + ((Va^2)/(2*gc))

I know there are friction losses in this system due to several factors, but I decided to ignore them on this post because I don't have doubts about that.

The Attempt at a Solution

Where:
Pb is 26.3 psia
Pa is 14.7 psia
Zb is 50 ft
Vb is 0.98 ft/s
Va is 0.33 ft/s

5Pb and 5Vb because the pressure and the velocity on all 5 pipes is the same. When I solve the equation with the values given above, I get:
ηWp = 319.75 ft*lbf /lbm = 1.77 hp

On the other hand when I assume Pb to be 14.7 psia, ηWp = 1.03 hp

Is my energy balance correct?
Or, should I assume Pb to be 14.7 psia since the tank is under atmospheric pressure?

I preferred to assume Pb = 26.30 psia because this problem is very much like a shower problem where the water needs to have a certain pressure (above 14.7 psia) when it exits the shower nozzle and one needs to assume Pb as the pressure of the water exiting the nozzle even though the bathroom is under atmospheric pressure. As a mater of fact, I’ve got nozzles on all 5 pipes. Am I right about my approach to this problem?

Second question: According to the pressure head definition above, this system does not have pressure head because the pressure on both tanks is the same. Or should I assume the pressure head to be 26.30-14.7 like I did on the Bernoulli equation when drawing the system curve?

Third question: can the static head for the system curve and Zb for the Bernoulli equation be different?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The power required by the pump is given by:

$$ \dot W_p = \gamma Q h_p \tag{1} $$

## \gamma## is the specific weight of the fluid
##Q## is the volumetric flowrate
## h_p ## is the change in head across the pump

You have given us ##\gamma## "water", and ##Q = 50 \, \rm{gpm}##, what is left is to determine ##h_p##.
Using the "Energy Equation" from Fluid Mechanics ( not Bernoulli's Equation which is only valid for "inviscid flows", or in practice over short distances with of low viscosity flow), If the pump suction is at ##0## head (e.g. approximately just at the surface of a large reservoir), to determine the ##h_p## you must simultaneously solve a system of ##5## non-linear equations ( point ##o## is at the discharge inlet side of the pump) of the form:

$$ h_p = z_i + \frac{Q_i^2}{A_i^2 2g} + \frac{P_i}{\gamma} + \sum_{o \to i } h_l $$

Where:

## z_i## is the elevation of branch ##i##'s discharge relative to the pump.
## Q_i## is the volumetric flow (flow velocity assumed uniform across discharge) through branch ##i##'s discharge
##P_i## is the pressure (gauge pressure) branch ##i##'s discharge.

and another equation constraining the total discharge:

$$ Q_o = 50 \, \rm{gpm} = \sum Q_i $$

Where ##Q_i## is the volumetric discharge in each branch.

## \sum_{o \to i } h_l## is the sum of head loss between the pump discharge and the system discharge of the branch ##i##. This term is always positive in any viscous flow and is usually modeled (for turbulent flow) as ## h_l = f \frac{L}{D A_i^2} \frac{Q_i^2}{2g}## for the major head loss associated with the system "pipe friction". ## f## itself is a function of the Reynolds Number, and pipe roughness, and is commonly found graphically in the "Moody Diagram". Other forms "component friction" are referred to as minor head loss and are the result of bends, elbows, tees, etc...that are used to route the pipe. They are usually just modeled as ## k \frac{Q_i^2}{A_i^2 2g} ## where ## k## will depend on ##V_i## and some other geometric factors for the type of component used.

In general, the total head loss ## \sum_{o \to i} h_l ## is the algebraic sum of the major and minor head loss.

I stated that everything was in reference to branch ##i##'s discharge. If you have a pressure/velocity requirement at some point in the pipe that needs to be met, just shift the equations to go between ##o## and that point. The OP has ##P = 26.3 \, \rm{psia}## at some point just before the discharge. That is fine, but the onus will be on the designer to ensure that that the downstream piping after the point of interest (which would be ignored in this case) is able to supply the required "back pressure" and velocity to meet the requirement(s) at the point of interest.

Getting back to the power calculation. After you have solved the system of non-linear equations for the branch discharges (which usually requires the techniques of linearization and iteration), you can determine the head of the pump ##h_p## by computing it for any particular branch in the system using one of the 5 equations in the system

$$ h_p = z_i + \frac{Q_i^2}{A_i^2 2g} + \frac{P_i}{\gamma} + \sum_{o \to i } h_l $$

and plug it into ##(1)##

I believe this answers questions 1 and 2.

Question 3:

The static head for the system curve will generally be the minimum head required for flow to initiate in the system. This will generally be the lowest branch elevation in the system. In multi branch systems, the "system curve" is not described by a single resulting equation over the entire range of flows. If you imagine two tanks at different elevations being served by a single pump (similar piping systems), flow will initiate in the lower tank first. That will be the "static head" of the system. The flow must increase in the lower branch until the pressure required to initiate flow in the upper tank is met. From that point on the "system curve" will be a combination of both branch curves as flow further increases.

Last edited:

1. What is a system curve and how is it related to Bernoulli's equation?

A system curve is a graphical representation of the relationship between flow rate and head loss within a fluid system. It is directly related to Bernoulli's equation, which states that the total energy of a fluid remains constant as it flows through a system. The system curve helps to determine the pressure and flow rate at any point in a system by balancing the total energy at that point.

2. How do I calculate the system curve for a specific fluid system?

The system curve can be calculated by plotting data points of flow rate and head loss for a specific fluid system. These data points can be obtained through experimental testing or through theoretical calculations using the physical properties of the fluid and the system components. Once the data points are plotted, a curve can be drawn to represent the relationship between flow rate and head loss.

3. What factors can affect the shape of the system curve?

The shape of the system curve can be affected by various factors, such as the fluid properties (viscosity, density, etc.), the geometry of the system (pipe diameter, length, etc.), and the flow conditions (turbulent or laminar flow). Changes in any of these factors can result in a different system curve, which will affect the pressure and flow rate within the system.

4. How can I use the system curve and Bernoulli's equation to analyze a fluid system?

The system curve and Bernoulli's equation can be used to analyze a fluid system by determining the flow rate and pressure at any point in the system. By plotting the system curve and knowing the operating point of the system (where the flow rate and pressure are known), the performance of the system can be evaluated and any necessary adjustments can be made to optimize its operation.

5. Can the system curve and Bernoulli's equation be applied to all fluid systems?

Yes, the system curve and Bernoulli's equation can be applied to all types of fluid systems, including closed systems (such as pipes and pumps) and open systems (such as rivers and streams). However, the accuracy of the calculations may vary depending on the complexity of the system and the assumptions made in the analysis.