Fast Fourier Transform (FFT) power spectrum angle

In summary, the conversation discusses a method for determining the orientation of fibres in medical images using MATLAB. The suggested approach involves using PCA and the interia matrix of the ft power spectrum. Another alternative method is mentioned, involving sampling the circumference of a circle in the image to determine the principle direction of fibres.
physical101
Dear Physics Buddies,

How are well all, okay I hope. I was wondering if I might browse all your infinite intellects and ask you a very simple question.

I am working with some medical images in MATLAB and my collaborators would like to know the orientation of the fibres that it contains.

So far I have:

Tiled the images (with an increasing tile size of the power of 2)
Calculated the regions ft

Then I was going to use PCA to find the largest eigen vector and declare that as the most dominant orientation for this region. However, I am a little stuck.

Someone suggested using the interia matrix of the ft power spectrum. This involves computing:

∑(ki,kj)(ki-kic)(ki-kic),∑(ki,kic)(ki-kic),(kj-kjc)
∑(ki,kj)(ki-kic)(kj-kjc),∑(ki,kj)(kj-kjc)(kj-kjc)

I am using brocploc in MATLAB and so I was wondering if any of you guys new of quick ways to compute this for image?

Hoping you can help

Physical101

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I guess the method used would be highly dependent on the patterns in the image and the colour / grey scale format. Are you trying to measure the principal axis in each subsections of the image or over the whole of the image? The fibres must be significantly more than 2 pixels wide to process the image.

I would consider a quick and dirty arithmetic technique such as sampling the circumference of a circle described on each subsection. By accumulating the absolute differences of sequential pixel values around the circle and saving all the values you will have a ramp with variable slope. Now subtract a linear fit to put the final value at zero. The resulting plot will have two peaks and two troughs. The positive slope will be where the circle is crossing the fibres, the negative slope will be where the fibres are tangent. Fit a 2nd harmonic to the plot, the phase reveals the principle direction of fibres.

What is Fast Fourier Transform (FFT) and how does it work?

The Fast Fourier Transform (FFT) is a mathematical algorithm used to convert a signal from its original time or spatial domain into frequency domain. It works by breaking down a complex signal into simpler components that are easier to analyze and understand.

What is the purpose of using FFT for power spectrum analysis?

The Fast Fourier Transform (FFT) is commonly used for power spectrum analysis to determine the frequency components of a signal and their corresponding amplitudes. This allows for a better understanding of the underlying patterns and behaviors of the signal.

What is the difference between FFT and regular Fourier Transform?

The main difference between FFT and regular Fourier Transform is the speed of computation. FFT is a more efficient and faster algorithm, making it more suitable for real-time applications and large data sets. However, it can only be used for signals with a finite length, whereas regular Fourier Transform can be applied to continuous signals.

What factors can affect the accuracy of FFT power spectrum analysis?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of FFT power spectrum analysis include the sampling rate, window function, and spectral leakage. It is important to choose appropriate values for these parameters to ensure accurate results.

What are some common applications of FFT power spectrum analysis?

FFT power spectrum analysis has a wide range of applications in various fields such as signal processing, data analysis, and image processing. It is commonly used in audio and speech recognition, vibration analysis, and medical imaging.