Truncated Fourier transform and power spectral density

In summary, the conversation discusses finding an expression for the signal-to-noise ratio of an oscillating signal on top of white noise, and how it scales with integration time. The conversation also mentions using the power spectral density formalism and delta functions to calculate the power spectral density at the oscillation frequency, but there is a misunderstanding about the increase of noise with integration time. The conversation ends with a suggestion to do the calculation and a confirmation that the SNR should increase with integration time.
Mishra
Hello,

I am trying to find an expression for the signal-to-noise ratio of an oscillating signal on top some white noise. In particular I would like to know how the SNR scales with the integration time. It is well known that during some integration time ##T##, the SNR increases as ##T^{1/2}## (because the noise increases as ##T^{1/2}## and the signal increases at ##T##). I am trying to prove this with, my limited skills in maths, using the power spectral density formalism.

The integration time is ##T##. I assume some signal: ##x(t)=A \sin(2 \pi \omega_0 t)## on top of some white noise of power spectral density ##S##. I am guessing that I should compare the power spectral density of the noise vs signal:
$$P(f)=X(f)^2$$
where ##X(f)## is the truncated Fourier transform:
$$X(f)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{T}}\int_0 ^{T} x(t) e^{-i \omega t} dt$$
In the limit where ##T## is large, the integral is a Fourier tranform, yielding a delta function:
$$X(f)=\frac{A}{\sqrt{T}} \delta (\omega - \omega_0)$$
Ence:
$$P(f)=\frac{A^2}{ T } \delta (\omega - \omega_0)$$
$$P(f_0)=\frac{A^2}{ T }$$

Here I have that the power spectral density at the oscillation frequency decreases linearly in time. Can someone explain me where my misunderstanding is please ?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Mishra said:
the noise increases as T1/2
It can be that my memory is playing trick in my head but as I recall the white noise variance in frequency domain increases as ##T^3##. So, do you have any reference that states what you wrote there?

I think the issue is that you are playing fast and loose with delta functions. The integral is simple enough that you may as well just do it. If I do a simplified case of ##x(t) = A e^{i\omega_0 t}## and let t run from -T/2 to T/2, then
$$
X(\omega) = \frac{A}{\sqrt{T}} \int_{-T/2}^{T/2} dt \, e^{i(\omega_0-\omega)t} = A \sqrt{T} \left[\frac{\sin\left(\frac{1}{2} T (\omega-\omega_0) \right)}{\frac{1}{2} T (\omega-\omega_0)} \right]
$$
The term in square brackets is a very nice number when ##\omega\rightarrow\omega_0##.

jason

By the way, for the noise I get ##\langle |X(\omega)|^2 \rangle## to be independent of time, so the SNR ##\propto A^2 T##, as I would expect. You should do the calculation.

Jason

1. What is a truncated Fourier transform?

The truncated Fourier transform is a mathematical technique used to analyze a signal or data set in the frequency domain. It involves taking a finite number of data points from the original signal and performing a discrete Fourier transform (DFT) on those points. This allows for the identification of specific frequencies and their corresponding amplitudes in the signal.

2. How is the truncated Fourier transform different from the regular Fourier transform?

The regular Fourier transform is calculated on the entire signal or data set, while the truncated Fourier transform only considers a finite number of data points. This means that the truncated Fourier transform is a discrete version of the regular Fourier transform and is better suited for analyzing discrete signals or data sets.

3. What is the purpose of using a truncated Fourier transform?

The truncated Fourier transform is often used to extract information about the frequency components of a signal or data set. It can help identify specific frequencies that may be present in the signal, and can also be used to filter out unwanted frequencies or noise.

4. How is the power spectral density related to the truncated Fourier transform?

The power spectral density (PSD) is a measure of the power or energy of a signal at different frequencies. It is calculated using the squared magnitude of the Fourier transform. The truncated Fourier transform can be used to calculate the PSD for a finite number of data points, giving insight into the frequency components of the signal.

5. What are some applications of the truncated Fourier transform and power spectral density?

The truncated Fourier transform and power spectral density have a wide range of applications in various fields, including signal processing, image analysis, and data compression. They are also commonly used in the analysis of time series data, such as in weather forecasting and financial markets. Other applications include analyzing sound and vibration data in engineering and identifying patterns in biological signals, such as brain waves.