Sketching Graph: Tips, Hints & Solution

• Thread starter Gameowner
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving plotting three equations: x = \sqrt z \sin(\theta),\ y = \frac{\sqrt z} 2 \cos(\theta), and h = 10. The person initially struggled with finding a starting point, but after receiving a hint to manipulate the second equation, they were able to plot the equations and determine the domain using h as an arbitrary point. They also share a code for a nicer plot using h = 10.
Gameowner

Homework Statement

Question attached

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea at all how to start this, I've plotted all 3 separated as x=, y= and z=, which gave me 3 different curves, would I then just join them together?

any hint, tips would be much appareciated

Attachments

• q4.jpg
    q4.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 407
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] x =\sqrt z \sin(\theta),\ y = \frac{\sqrt z} 2 \cos(\theta)[/tex]

Hint: Multiply the second equation by 2, square both and add and see if that helps.

LCKurtz said:
[tex] x =\sqrt z \sin(\theta),\ y = \frac{\sqrt z} 2 \cos(\theta)[/tex]

Hint: Multiply the second equation by 2, square both and add and see if that helps.

yes! that has helped a lot, although when it came to plotting the equation, I was not sure about the domain of the graph. But this is what I got

I assume since the question specifies that theta is between 0 and 2pi, the maximum allowable value for x-axis and y-axis is -1/1?

As for the h, which is any number greater than 0, I just substituted an arbitrary point greater than 0.

Attachments

• Line plot.JPG.jpg
    Line plot.JPG.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 333
Try this code for a nicer plot,which might help you with your domain. I used h = 10 for an example:

restart;
h := 10;
surface := [sqrt(z)*cos(theta), sqrt(z)*sin(theta), z];
domain := [sqrt(z)*cos(theta), sqrt(z)*sin(theta), 0];
plot3d({domain, surface}, theta = 0 .. 2*Pi, z = 0 .. h, style = patchcontour);

1. What is the purpose of sketching a graph?

The purpose of sketching a graph is to visually represent data or mathematical relationships. This allows for easier interpretation and analysis of the information being presented.

2. What are some tips for accurately sketching a graph?

Some tips for accurately sketching a graph include using a ruler to draw straight lines, labeling both the x-axis and y-axis, and ensuring that the scale is consistent. It is also important to plot all data points correctly and to clearly indicate any key points or trends.

3. How can I improve my graph sketching skills?

To improve your graph sketching skills, it is helpful to practice regularly and pay attention to details such as scale, labeling, and precision. It can also be beneficial to seek feedback from others and to study well-constructed graphs to understand best practices.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when sketching a graph?

Common mistakes to avoid when sketching a graph include not labeling axes or data points, using inconsistent scales, and not accurately representing the data. It is also important to avoid extrapolating beyond the data points and to not make assumptions about the relationship between variables.

5. Are there any software tools that can assist with graph sketching?

Yes, there are various software tools that can assist with graph sketching, such as Microsoft Excel, Google Sheets, and graphing calculators. These tools can help with creating accurate and visually appealing graphs, as well as performing calculations and analyzing data.