I'm getting my PharmD, but I'm deadset against working at RiteAid. I'm

• Thread starter ptolema
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is pursuing a PharmD but is not interested in working at RiteAid and wants to transition into academia or research, specifically in the field of epidemiology. They are considering the feasibility of this transition and have received advice on finding a Master of Public Health program with a strong emphasis in epidemiology. They are also open to incorporating their PharmD background into their future career in epidemiology.
ptolema
I'm getting my PharmD, but I'm deadset against working at RiteAid. I'm trying to go academia/research, so I'm thinking of doing something like epidemiology. Is pharmacy to epidemiology too far of a jump? (I know a pre-med/art history major, so I've got a good idea of what an impossible jump is) I don't want to have to get my PharmD and then have to go back to the beginning for a BS.

Physics news on Phys.org

I don't think it is an impossible jump. I'm currently in a MPH program with plenty of doctors, nurses, engineers, etc. You name it, you'll find that major in the program.

Epi could be great with your Pharm D especially if you want to work in something to do with clinical trials or something else that would draw from both backgrounds. As long as you don't mind a little math Epi is a lot of fun.

MPH programs take 2 years max, just find one with a solid Epi emphasis and hopefully a school of public health that is separate from the medical school of the same university. Student Doctor Forums has a section for MPH applicants too, just fyi.

SbF5 said:
I don't think it is an impossible jump. I'm currently in a MPH program with plenty of doctors, nurses, engineers, etc. You name it, you'll find that major in the program.

Epi could be great with your Pharm D especially if you want to work in something to do with clinical trials or something else that would draw from both backgrounds. As long as you don't mind a little math Epi is a lot of fun.

MPH programs take 2 years max, just find one with a solid Epi emphasis and hopefully a school of public health that is separate from the medical school of the same university. Student Doctor Forums has a section for MPH applicants too, just fyi.

thanks for the advice! i don't mind the math at all, so that's a relief to hear.

No problem. Good Luck with your search.

I can understand your hesitation in pursuing a career at RiteAid after obtaining your PharmD. It is important to follow your passions and interests, and if academia and research are your goals, then it makes sense to explore opportunities in those fields.

In terms of transitioning from pharmacy to epidemiology, it may not be as far of a jump as you think. Both fields involve a strong understanding of medical and scientific concepts, as well as data analysis and research skills. Your background in pharmacy may actually give you a unique perspective in the field of epidemiology, as you will have a deep understanding of medications and their effects on populations.

It is also worth noting that many epidemiology programs offer dual degree options, where you can earn your PharmD while also pursuing a Master's in Public Health or Epidemiology. This can save you time and effort in having to go back for a second bachelor's degree.

Ultimately, it is important to do your research and speak with professionals in the field to determine if epidemiology is the right fit for you. With your background in pharmacy, you may have a strong foundation to excel in this field and make a valuable contribution to the scientific community.

1. What are the reasons for being against working at RiteAid as a PharmD?

Some possible reasons for being against working at RiteAid as a PharmD could include a negative work environment, low pay or benefits, lack of opportunities for growth and advancement, or personal values not aligning with the company's policies or practices.

2. Are there alternative job options for a PharmD besides working at RiteAid?

Yes, there are many alternative job options for a PharmD, including working at other retail pharmacies, hospitals, clinics, pharmaceutical companies, research institutions, or even starting your own independent pharmacy business. It's important to research and explore different options to find the best fit for your career goals and values.

3. How can I ensure I don't end up working at RiteAid as a PharmD?

One way to avoid ending up working at RiteAid as a PharmD is to be selective in your job search and only apply to positions that align with your career goals and values. Network with other professionals in the field and ask for recommendations or referrals to potential job opportunities. You can also research company reviews and ask questions during the interview process to get a better understanding of the company culture and work environment.

4. What steps can I take to make sure I have a successful career as a PharmD?

To have a successful career as a PharmD, it's important to continuously learn and stay updated on industry advancements and changes. Networking and building relationships with other professionals in the field can also open up opportunities for growth and advancement. Additionally, having a strong work ethic, good communication skills, and a passion for helping others can contribute to a successful career as a PharmD.

5. Is it possible to change your mind about working at RiteAid as a PharmD in the future?

Yes, it is possible to change your mind about working at RiteAid as a PharmD in the future. As your career progresses, your goals and values may shift, and RiteAid may become a more appealing option. Additionally, RiteAid may also make changes to their company culture or policies that align more with your values. It's important to keep an open mind and reassess your career goals periodically to ensure you are on the right path for your personal and professional growth.