Over what field I'm going to choose

In summary, it is important to choose a balanced set of courses that will provide a strong foundation in various areas of physics, rather than focusing on a specific field for potential job opportunities. Courses in subjects like statistical mechanics are essential for a well-rounded education in physics.
Baris Kalfa
Hello dear members,
I couldn't figure out whether I should post this in the academic guidance or career guidance section, yet the latter sounded more convenient for my situation. I have also seen many similar threads but I believe everybody has different thoughts& aspirations as we all know, physics is a vast subject.

I'm a 1st year undergraduate Physics&Astrophysics student (Bologna system) in the University of Nova Gorica (Slovenia). I agree that it's early for me to make decisions about which field of physics I'm going to specialize in as I'm quite new to the academia. However, I'll have to choose my elective subjects in the next academic year which will be hugely advantageous if I choose the right ones. I am in a dilemma about it since a novice like me doesn't know what each field has to offer me in terms of academic career or private sector opportunities. And of course, It'd be the wisest to choose what I love working on, but here comes the problem; I do not know what I particularly love doing in physics. I joined this school because I wanted to become a physicist in general. So, I'll be writing a few key points about me and prepare a few questions.

Even though I said I don't have a -special- interest about any of the fields, I like doing analysis-related maths in general. Despite the fact I had setbacks in some of the Physics 1 mid-terms I excelled in the Analysis class being the highest scorer in the class. I do love working on any concept that works with differentials and stuff related to it. Therefore I might be interested in a field that uses analysis as its core. I said particularly analysis, but we're taking other maths classes like Abstract and Linear algebra, and I am paying importance to all of these classes and not neglecting anyone of them.

I have consulted to lots of physicists conducting research in different fields and gotten similar answers about their personal lives. However, I didn't have a chance to ask any physicist who works in the private sector. I'd love to work as a physicist in private sector while going to post-graduate school and I've given lots of thought on it because I'm going to need a financial backbone after I graduate. And perhaps I'll continue working in the private sector if the financial situation it provides me is satisfactory.

So here comes my questions;

1. Does private sector offer more financial support than working in the academia?

2. I'll have to choose between -Stellar Astrophysics/Galaxies and Cosmology- and -Statistical Mechanics- for the next year's elective courses. Would choosing Statistical Mechanics provide me a better range of possibilities for working in the private sector and going to postgrad school meanwhile? Are the astrophysics related jobs more difficult to be employed than the latter?

3. Which fields among the options concerning the first 2 questions would I love working on as an enthusiast for mathematical analysis?

Thank you very much for sparing time :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Baris Kalfa said:
1. Does private sector offer more financial support than working in the academia?

It is difficult to generalise, but typically your prospects of earning more money will be greater outside of academia.

Baris Kalfa said:
2. I'll have to choose between -Stellar Astrophysics/Galaxies and Cosmology- and -Statistical Mechanics- for the next year's elective courses. Would choosing Statistical Mechanics provide me a better range of possibilities for working in the private sector and going to postgrad school meanwhile? Are the astrophysics related jobs more difficult to be employed than the latter?

To be honest, what you study will most likely have very little impact on what jobs outside of academia that you might get unless you are looking for something very specific. It is usually not exactly what courses you have taken that are going to make you an attractive employee. In physics you are usually not training for a particular job outside of academia, you are studying to get a job based on your analytical skills and critical thinking. That job may entail many other things where those qualities are important. To believe that you will get a job exactly related to what you studied is probably a bit naive.

Likes Baris Kalfa
Orodruin said:
To be honest, what you study will most likely have very little impact on what jobs outside of academia that you might get unless you are looking for something very specific. It is usually not exactly what courses you have taken that are going to make you an attractive employee. In physics you are usually not training for a particular job outside of academia, you are studying to get a job based on your analytical skills and critical thinking. That job may entail many other things where those qualities are important. To believe that you will get a job exactly related to what you studied is probably a bit naive.
First of all, thank you for bothering to reply to me. I am a little relieved thanks to what you've said. I've been wanting not to miss the astrophysics-related courses because of my thoughts about how it will have restrictions about my future career. However, I think going for a generally balanced set of courses (both astrophysics and stat. mech. instead of 2 astrophysics courses) would provide me a better headstart in any field I choose. Would this be a wise choice sir?

Stat mech is an elective? Given how fundamental that subject is, I don't think that skipping stat mech is a good idea. Along with classical and quantum mechanics and electromagnetics, it should form the foundation of any physics curriculum.

Likes Baris Kalfa

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a field of study?

There are several factors to consider when choosing a field of study, including your interests, strengths, career goals, job market demand, and available resources. It is important to choose a field that aligns with your passions and strengths, but also has potential for growth and job opportunities.

2. How do I know which field is right for me?

One way to determine which field is right for you is to explore your interests and skills through internships, job shadowing, or informational interviews. You can also speak with advisors, professors, and professionals in various fields to gain insights and perspectives.

3. Should I choose a field solely based on its job market demand?

No, it is not recommended to choose a field solely based on job market demand. While it is important to consider the job market, it is equally important to choose a field that you are passionate about and will enjoy studying and working in. Job market demand can also change over time, so it is important to choose a field that you see yourself being happy and successful in.

4. Can I switch to a different field of study after starting in one?

Yes, it is possible to switch to a different field of study after starting in one. However, it may require additional time and resources to make the transition. It is important to carefully consider your decision and speak with advisors and professors before making the switch.

5. Is it better to choose a broad or specialized field of study?

There is no right answer to this question as it depends on your personal preferences and career goals. A broad field may provide a wider range of career options, while a specialized field may lead to more specific and in-depth knowledge and skills. It is important to research and consider your options before making a decision.