Are My Taxes Too High for My Summer Job?

• Thread starter pergradus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Taxes
In summary, Jimmy, FYI pergradus, you will get a refund for the Medicare and SS taxes if you do not change your withholding.
pergradus
So I have a summer job doing research for a professor at my school and I'm paid by the hour. I live and work in New York State.

I got my first check today, and a total of 16.5% of my check was taken by taxes. I paid:

9.12% in Federal Income Tax
1.45% in FICA Medicare Tax
4.61% in FICA SS Tax
1.78% in NYS Tax

I live on my own, I don't get any financial assistance from anyone, I have no health insurance, and I don't expect to earn more than $5000 this summer, which will probably be all I earn for the entire year.

Do those rates above seem right?? Do I really have to pay for crap like Medicare and Social Security when I'm 22 years old? I tried using a tax calculator online, and it said:

Based on the information you previously entered, your anticipated income tax for 2011 is $0. If you do not change your current withholding arrangement, your withholding for 2011 will approximately equal your tax, and any refund or balance due should be less than $25.

I don't understand what this means... does this mean I'm not eligible for any refund at the end of the year, or that I shouldn't be paying any income tax?? I have tried asking the payroll people at my school but they refused to answer questions citing it is against school policy to give students advice on their taxes and that I have to ask my parents, but unfortunately I have none. Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you have to pay for that "crap". What did you think, you're going to go through life not paying for it and then draw it like everyone else?

You won't owe any state or federal income tax though so you'll get all that back.

First you cannot take this as absolute. I live in California and at least the state tax portion may be different. That said...

It sounds like the school is using a standard tax table to withhold taxes. The table assumes that the income is annual, meaning that this is not a summer job that will go away. The Internet tax calculator on the other hand treats your total income as an annual income. As annual income it sounds like $5000 is less than your standard deduction and results in no tax due.

If withholding remains as it is, you should be eligible for a refund when filling. If this is all of your income for the year.., you have no other taxable income.., you may wish to consult a tax 'man' to see if changing your dependents is an option, to reduce the withholding.

REMEMBER I AM NOT A TAX PROFESSIONAL. DO NOT TAKE THIS AS DEFINITIVE TAX ADVICE.

Last edited:
I don't understand, if I will get it all back what's the point of withholding it in the first place? Is it just interest-free credit for the government?

You will not get a refund for the Medicare and SS taxes. However, you will get one from the feds for the federal income tax and from the state of NY for the NYS state tax. You can avoid the withholding for these by filling out a W-2 form. Ask HR for one. You have to fill out your tax forms next April to get the money back that is coming to you, the govt will not give you the money unless you do.

They don't know you will get it all back. And yes, it is interest-free credit. The government must save about $50 million a year doing this.

If you're sure you won't actually have to pay Federal income tax on your income this year, you should be able to declare to the university's payroll or HR department that you are exempt from federal tax withholding. There's an IRS form (I've forgotten the number) for making this and other changes to your federal withholding.

Anything that's already been withheld for Federal tax, you'll have to get back next year by filing a tax return.

Jimmy Snyder said:
You will not get a refund for the Medicare and SS taxes. However, you will get one from the feds for the federal income tax and from the state of NY for the NYS state tax. You can avoid the withholding for these by filling out a W-2 form. Ask HR for one. You have to fill out your tax forms next April to get the money back that is coming to you, the govt will not give you the money unless you do.

Jimmy, FYI pergradus,

Did you mean to say a http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&t...c.r_pw.&fp=951dc7972bfd90fb&biw=1366&bih=585" form, to have less taxes withheld ?

Rhody... :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
rhody said:
Jimmy, FYI pergradus,

Did you mean to say a W-4 form, to have less taxes withheld?

Rhody... :biggrin:
Yes, of course. The W-2 is the form that the employer will send you and which you then send to the IRS and NY state office to get your refund. You need to fill out a W-4 so that there will be no more withholding. The amount already withheld will not be returned to you until you fill out your tax forms in April next year.

Be careful, though. If you actually owe them money and tell them not to withhold, the IRS will indicate their displeasure by making you file quarterlies in the following years.

Last edited by a moderator:
So even if they are withholding too much money, or I messed up on my W-2 and they are taking more than they should, if I file next year I can always get back the correct amount?

i.e. I'm not losing money?

correct

Also, if you are due money back, don't wait until April, that's the deadline to file to PAY additional tax. If you are due a return, file as soon as you receive your W2, which should be by Jan 31st.

Last edited:
PAY additional taxes??

I always get paid back, and I'm anxiously waiting for this years' pay-back of about 1500 dollars worth of kroner..

1. How do I file taxes?

Filing taxes involves submitting a tax return form to the government, which outlines your income, deductions, and credits for the year. You can typically file online through the IRS website or by mail. It is important to file your taxes accurately and on time to avoid penalties.

2. Can someone else help me file my taxes?

Yes, you can seek assistance from a tax professional, such as an accountant or tax preparer, to help you file your taxes. They can provide expert advice and ensure that your taxes are filed accurately.

3. What documents do I need to file taxes?

You will typically need your W-2 form from your employer, any 1099 forms for additional income, records of deductions and credits, and any other relevant financial documents. It is important to keep these documents organized and easily accessible during tax season.

4. Are there any tax credits or deductions I can claim?

Yes, there are various tax credits and deductions available to taxpayers, such as the Earned Income Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit, and deductions for charitable donations and mortgage interest. It is important to research and understand which credits and deductions you may be eligible for.

5. What happens if I make a mistake on my tax return?

If you realize that you made a mistake on your tax return, you can file an amended return to correct it. However, if the mistake results in a larger tax liability, you may owe penalties and interest on the difference. It is important to double check your return before filing to minimize errors and potential consequences.