Calculate the Transconductance for a MOSFET, given W,L,Vg,Vd,u,Cox but not Vth

• Thread starter genxium
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mosfet
In summary, the transconductance and voltage gain cannot be calculated without knowing the value of the threshold voltage (Vth) and more information on the operating conditions of the MOSFET. It is important to avoid making assumptions and always work with the given information.
genxium

Homework Statement

This problem is given to me by programme inductor, and I just copy the whole description here so every given element is the same as what he/she gives. I'm confused with the given conditions.

1) What is the transconductance (gm) of a MOSFET biased at W=L=1um,
uCox=0.01A/V^2, Vg= 1V and Vd=1V?

2) For the same transistor with a load resistance of 100ohm, what is the
voltage gain?

Homework Equations

Triode mode or linear region, When VGS > Vth and VDS < ( VGS – Vth )

[tex]I_D=\mu_nC_{ox}\frac{W}{L}((V_{GS}-V_{th})V_{DS}-\frac{V_{DS}^2}{2})[/tex]

Saturation or active mode, When VGS > Vth and VDS > ( VGS – Vth )

[tex]I_D=\frac{\mu_nC_{ox}}{2}\frac{W}{L}(V_{GS}-V_{th})^2(1+\lambda (V_{DS}-V_{DSsat}))[/tex]

or

[tex]I_D \approx \frac{\mu_nC_{ox}}{2}\frac{W}{L}(V_{GS}-V_{th})^2 [/tex]

The derivation is http://ecee.colorado.edu/~bart/book/book/chapter7/ch7_3.htm" .

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm afraid the threshold voltage Vth should be given to do the calculation, besides, Vg=Vd=1V here so the transistor should be in Saturation Mode , should I assume the value of Vth by myself or just assume that Vg-Vth is approximately equal to Vd ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

it is important to always work with the given information and not make assumptions. In this case, you are correct that the threshold voltage (Vth) is needed in order to calculate the transconductance (gm) and voltage gain of the MOSFET. I would suggest reaching out to the programme inductor for clarification on the given conditions, specifically the value of Vth. Without this information, it is not possible to accurately calculate the transconductance and voltage gain. Additionally, it is important to understand the conditions under which the MOSFET is operating (triode or saturation mode) in order to use the correct equations. Again, I would recommend seeking clarification from the programme inductor or referencing additional resources for more information on MOSFET operation.

1. What is the formula for calculating the transconductance of a MOSFET?

The formula for calculating the transconductance (gm) of a MOSFET is gm = u*Cox*(W/L)*(Vg - Vth), where u is the carrier mobility, Cox is the gate oxide capacitance per unit area, W and L are the width and length of the transistor, and Vg and Vth are the gate and threshold voltages, respectively.

2. How do I determine the values for W, L, Vg, and Vd in the transconductance formula?

W and L can be determined from the physical dimensions of the transistor, while Vg and Vd can be obtained from the circuit diagram or measurement. These values are crucial in accurately calculating the transconductance of a MOSFET.

3. What is the significance of the transconductance value in a MOSFET?

The transconductance value represents the efficiency of the MOSFET in amplifying small input signals. A higher transconductance value indicates a stronger amplification capability, making the MOSFET a more effective device in electronic circuits.

4. Can the transconductance of a MOSFET be affected by external factors?

Yes, the transconductance of a MOSFET can be affected by external factors such as temperature changes, voltage variations, or aging of the device. These factors can alter the carrier mobility and oxide capacitance, which in turn affects the transconductance value.

5. How can I improve the transconductance of a MOSFET?

The transconductance of a MOSFET can be improved by increasing the carrier mobility, reducing the gate oxide capacitance, or optimizing the width and length of the transistor. Additionally, using a suitable threshold voltage can also enhance the transconductance of a MOSFET.