How to prove the linear indenpendency of an infinite set

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of linear independence for a set in a vector space. The definition states that a set is linearly independent if, for all distinct vectors, their coefficients must be zero in order for their sum to equal zero. However, this definition may not be suitable for infinite sets, as the number of vectors and coefficients would also be infinite. Therefore, it is suggested to modify the definition to include the concept of countability for infinite sets. Additionally, the definition can also be extended to include infinite sets by stating that a set is linearly independent if all its finite subsets are linearly independent. This is because infinite sums are undefined in a general vector space, but can be defined in a vector space with additional structure
julypraise
First let me give you some definitions for the clarification of the problem:

Definition (Roman, Linear Algebra)
A nonempty set S of a vector space V with a field F is linearly independent if for any distinct vectors [itex]s_{1} , \dots , s_{n}[/itex] for all [itex]a_{1} , \dots , a_{n}[/itex] if [itex]a_{1}u_{1} + \cdots + a_{n}u{n} = 0 [/itex] then [itex]a_{1} = \cdots = a_{n} = 0[/itex].

But by this definition, I don't think I can handle an infinite set S (but you may!). When S is infinite, the n up there should be infinite too. Then everything just becomes confusing to me. Can n actually be inifinite? Isn't it an error in the sense of the first order theory? Shouldn't the definition be modifed somewhat to be more rigorous, and to be fitter to deal with the set S in the case where it is infinite? Shouldn't there be any problem of countability of n when S is infinite?

I can't even properly state what actually I don't know. Please give me your helpful comment. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
n is finite even when S isn't. The definition of "linearly independent" is better stated like this: A set [itex]S\subset V[/itex] is said to be linearly independent if for all [itex]n\in\mathbb N[/itex], all [itex]s_1,\dots,s_n\in S[/itex] and all [itex]a_1,\dots,a_n\in F[/itex], [tex]a_1 s_1+\cdots+a_n s_n=0\ \Rightarrow\ a_1=\cdots=a_n=0.[/tex]

Last edited:
If one knows linear independence for finite sets, then you can easily extent it to infinite sets:

An infinite set is linear independent if all its finite subsets are linear independent.

one can simply say a set (infinite OR finite) is linearly independent if any finite subset is linearly independent. when the set in question is finite, this, of course, means we must test the entire set for linear independence.

(why just finite subsets? well this has to do with the fact that in a general vector space, infinite sums are undefined. however, if we have "extra structure" on a vector space (such as a topology), then we can define (for example) a notion of convergence of infinite sums, in which case it becomes meaningful to test infinite sets for linear independence. and such things do exist).

I would approach this problem by first acknowledging that the definition of linear independence given above is for a finite set of vectors. However, it can be extended to infinite sets by using the concept of convergence.

To prove the linear independence of an infinite set S, we can use the following steps:

1. Assume that S is linearly dependent. This means that there exists a finite subset of S, say {s_1, s_2, ..., s_n}, such that a_1s_1 + a_2s_2 + ... + a_ns_n = 0, where at least one of the coefficients a_i is non-zero.

2. Since S is infinite, there must be an infinite number of vectors in S that are not in the finite subset {s_1, s_2, ..., s_n}. Let's call this subset T.

3. Now, consider the sequence of vectors in T: s_{n+1}, s_{n+2}, ..., s_{n+k}, ... As n increases, the number of vectors in this sequence also increases.

4. Since the set T is infinite, it is possible to find a subsequence of this sequence that converges to some vector in S. Let's call this vector s.

5. Since s_{n+k} converges to s, we can write s_{n+k} as s + e_k, where e_k is a small error term. This means that as k approaches infinity, e_k approaches 0.

6. Now, we can rewrite the linear dependence relation from step 1 as: a_1s_1 + a_2s_2 + ... + a_ns_n + a_{n+1}(s + e_{n+1}) + ... + a_{n+k}(s + e_{n+k}) + ... = 0.

7. As k approaches infinity, the error terms e_{n+1}, ..., e_{n+k}, ... approach 0. This means that the above equation reduces to a_1s_1 + a_2s_2 + ... + a_ns_n + a_{n+1}s + ... = 0.

8. But we had assumed that the coefficients a_i are non-zero, which means that the vectors s_1, s_2, ..., s_n, s are linearly dependent. This contradicts our assumption that S is linearly dependent.

What is the definition of linear independence?

Linear independence refers to the property of a set of vectors where no vector can be written as a linear combination of the other vectors in the set. In other words, no vector in the set is redundant or unnecessary.

Can an infinite set of vectors be linearly independent?

Yes, an infinite set of vectors can be linearly independent as long as each vector in the set satisfies the definition of linear independence.

How do I prove the linear independence of an infinite set?

To prove the linear independence of an infinite set, you can use the same methods as you would for a finite set. This includes using the definition of linear independence, Gaussian elimination, or the Wronskian determinant test.

What is the Wronskian determinant test?

The Wronskian determinant test is a method used to determine the linear independence of a set of functions. It involves calculating the determinant of a matrix made up of the functions and their derivatives. If the determinant is non-zero, then the functions are linearly independent.

Can two infinite sets be linearly independent of each other?

Yes, two infinite sets can be linearly independent of each other. The linear independence of a set is determined by the individual vectors in the set, not by the size of the set itself. So, it is possible for two infinite sets to have all linearly independent vectors and therefore be linearly independent of each other.