Maximizing Tr(A) & Unique Solution of Matrix A w/ Infinite Solutions

In summary: Moving on to the second question, under which condition(s) a unique $\boldsymbol{A}$ exists, there are a few different cases to consider. If the size of $\boldsymbol{b}_{1}$ and $\boldsymbol{b}_{2}$ are not equal, then a unique $\boldsymbol{A}$ does not exist. However, if the size of $\boldsymbol{b}_{1}$ and $\boldsymbol{b}_{2}$ are equal, then a unique $\boldsymbol{A}$ may exist depending on the specific values of $\boldsymbol{b}_{1}$ and $\boldsymbol{b}_{2}$. For example, if $\bold
zeeshas901
Hello!

I am new here, and I need (urgent) help regarding the following question:

Let $\boldsymbol{A}_{(n\times n)}=[a_{ij}]$ be a square matrix such that the sum of each row is 1 and $a_{ij}\ge0$$(i=1,2,\dots,n~\text{and}~j=1,2,\dots,n)$ are unknown. Suppose that $\boldsymbol{b}_{1}=[b_{11}~b_{12}\dots b_{1n}]$ and $\boldsymbol{b}_{2}=[b_{21}~b_{22}\dots b_{2n}]$ are known row vectors of proportions such that $$\boldsymbol{b}_{1}\boldsymbol{A}_{(n\times n)}=\boldsymbol{b}_{2},$$ where $\boldsymbol{b}_{1}\boldsymbol{1}_{n}=1$, $\boldsymbol{b}_{2}\boldsymbol{1}_{n}=1$ and $\boldsymbol{1}^{T}_{n}=[1~1\dots1]$.

I know that there are infinite solutions for $\boldsymbol{A}$. However, I do not have any idea about the following two questions:

(i) how to optimize $\boldsymbol{A}$ such that trace$(\boldsymbol{A})$ is maximized (and each $a_{ij}$ may be expressed in terms of known quantities of the vectors $\boldsymbol{b}_{1}$ and $\boldsymbol{b}_{2}$ if possible) subject to the sum of each row of $\boldsymbol{A}$ is 1
and
(ii) under which condition(s) a unique $\boldsymbol{A}$ exists?Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your question. Let me try to break down the problem and provide some suggestions for solving it.

Firstly, let's define the variables and constraints in the problem:

- $\boldsymbol{A}$ is a square matrix of size $n\times n$
- $a_{ij}$ are unknown elements of the matrix, with $i,j=1,2,\dots,n$
- The sum of each row of $\boldsymbol{A}$ is equal to 1, i.e. $\sum_{j=1}^{n}a_{ij}=1$
- $\boldsymbol{b}_{1}$ and $\boldsymbol{b}_{2}$ are known row vectors of size $1\times n$
- $\boldsymbol{b}_{1}\boldsymbol{A}=\boldsymbol{b}_{2}$, with the additional constraints that $\boldsymbol{b}_{1}\boldsymbol{1}_{n}=1$ and $\boldsymbol{b}_{2}\boldsymbol{1}_{n}=1$

Now, let's consider the first question, i.e. how to optimize $\boldsymbol{A}$ such that trace$(\boldsymbol{A})$ is maximized. The trace of a matrix is the sum of its diagonal elements, so maximizing the trace of $\boldsymbol{A}$ is equivalent to maximizing the sum of its diagonal elements. This can be achieved by setting $a_{ii}=1$ for all $i=1,2,\dots,n$. This satisfies the constraint that the sum of each row is 1 and also maximizes the trace of $\boldsymbol{A}$. However, this solution may not be unique, and there may be other solutions that also satisfy the constraints and have the same maximum trace.

As for expressing each $a_{ij}$ in terms of known quantities of $\boldsymbol{b}_{1}$ and $\boldsymbol{b}_{2}$, this may be possible depending on the specific values of $\boldsymbol{b}_{1}$ and $\boldsymbol{b}_{2}$. For example, if $\boldsymbol{b}_{1}=[1~0~0\dots0]$ and $\boldsymbol{b}_{2}=[0~1~0\dots0]$, then we can set $a_{11}=0$ and $a_{22}=0$, and the remaining elements can be expressed in

1. What does it mean to maximize Tr(A)?

Maximizing Tr(A) means finding the maximum possible value for the trace of matrix A. The trace of a matrix is the sum of its diagonal elements, and maximizing it is important in many applications such as optimization problems and linear algebra.

2. How can I maximize Tr(A) for a given matrix A?

To maximize Tr(A), you can use techniques such as gradient descent or other optimization algorithms. These methods involve finding the derivative of Tr(A) with respect to the matrix elements and using it to iteratively update the matrix until the maximum value is reached.

3. What is the relationship between maximizing Tr(A) and finding a unique solution of matrix A?

Maximizing Tr(A) is closely related to finding a unique solution of matrix A. In fact, maximizing Tr(A) is equivalent to finding the eigenvalues of A and ensuring that they are all distinct. This guarantees that A has a unique solution.

4. Can a matrix A have both infinite solutions and a unique solution?

No, it is not possible for a matrix A to have both infinite solutions and a unique solution. If A has infinite solutions, it means that there are multiple sets of values that satisfy the equation Ax=b. However, a unique solution means that there is only one set of values that satisfies the equation.

5. How can I determine if a matrix A has infinite solutions or a unique solution?

To determine if a matrix A has infinite solutions or a unique solution, you can use techniques such as Gaussian elimination or matrix inversion. If the resulting matrix has a row of zeros, it indicates that the system has infinite solutions. If there are no rows of zeros, it indicates that there is a unique solution.