Having problems with polynomial

• Thread starter kingerd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomial
In summary, a polynomial in x is an expression of the type a_nx^n + a_{n-1}x^{n-1} + ... + a_2x^2 + a_1x + a_0.
kingerd
hi everyone new to the forum here.

here's my problem. I have to tell whether a given expression is a polynomial in x or not, and if so give its degree.

I've figured out 4 of the 5 but I'm stuck on the third one

2^x + 3x

since 2 is being raised to x and 3 is being multiplied by x I'm completely confused on how to determine if it is or not and what the degree would be if it has one

please help:cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, what have you seen as definition of a polynomial?

5x^2 - 3x + (1/2)

with the degree being 2 since the highest power of x is 2

Yes, but that's an example.
What is the definition of a polynomial, have you seen that?
When do you call a mathematical expression a 'polynomial' (in x)?

no, it's not a polynomial if you ask me

mladen said:
no, it's not a polynomial if you ask me
That's correct, but it would be good if kingerd is able to find out why that is.

oh sorry, you mean..

a polynomial in one variable is any expression of the type

anX^n + an-1X^n-1 + ... + a2X^2 + a1X + a0

where n is a nonnegative integer, an,...,a0 are real numbers called coefficients, and an not equal 0

If that's the definition which you are using, then clearly your example can't be a polynomial since there's an x as power (exponent), you see?

I'm sorry, but is that because since we don't really know the value of x it could be a non-negative number? I just want to make sure i understand it

Oh no, even if we were sure that x was a positive integer, it still wouldn't be allowed to have x as an exponent. At least: it wouldn't be a polynomial in x anymore.

kingerd said:
I'm sorry, but is that because since we don't really know the value of x it could be a non-negative number? I just want to make sure i understand it

Let's start with this, a general form for polynomials:
[tex]a_nx^n + a_{n-1}x^{n-1} + ... + a_2x^2 + a_1x + a_0[/tex]

What I mean by form, is that for an expression to be a polynomial, you need to be able to fit it into the above expression with the constraints you gave: n is any nonzero integer, a_n are real, etc.

Here's an example:
[tex]x^3 + 5x^2 + 3[/tex]
We can plug it into the above form for a polynomial by saying: n = 3, a_3 = 1, a_2=5, a_1 = 0, a_0 = 3.

Take the expression 2^x and try to plug it into the polynomial form above. There's no way you can do it.. there are no (something)^x in there.

One additional condition that may have been taken for granted by your teacher, that i think might be causing a problem for you:
x (or whatever the variables may be) remains a variable. You won't typically plug in a numeric value for x and still call it a polynomial. If you took that 2^x and plugged in x=3, and then said 2^3 - you have just a number, 8.

I point this out because it sounds like you're trying to do that: plug in a value for 2^x, then try to fit the number into the polynomial (by saying, for example, x=3: 2^x = 2^3 which can be written as y^3 with y=2, so therefore it's a polynomial). That's going too far, and is wrong.

Just try to stick to that original polynomial form. x's stay x's (or another letter), a_n's are numbers, n's are non-negative integers, etc.

1. What is a polynomial?

A polynomial is an algebraic expression that consists of variables, coefficients, and exponents. It can have one or more terms and can be written in the form of ax^n + bx^(n-1) + ... + cx + d, where a, b, c, and d are constants, x is the variable, and n is a non-negative integer.

2. How do I solve a polynomial equation?

To solve a polynomial equation, you can use various methods such as factoring, the quadratic formula, or the rational roots theorem. It is important to first simplify the equation by combining like terms and then isolate the variable on one side of the equation.

3. What are the different types of polynomials?

The different types of polynomials include monomials, binomials, trinomials, and higher degree polynomials. They can also be classified based on the number of terms they have, such as a linear polynomial with one term, a quadratic polynomial with two terms, and a cubic polynomial with three terms.

4. How do I graph a polynomial function?

To graph a polynomial function, you can use the standard form of the equation and plot points by substituting different values for the variable. You can also use the leading coefficient, degree, and end behavior of the function to determine its shape and direction of the graph.

5. What is the remainder theorem for polynomials?

The remainder theorem states that when a polynomial f(x) is divided by x - a, the remainder is equal to f(a). In other words, if you divide a polynomial by x - a, the remainder will be the value of the polynomial when x is equal to a.