Gauge invariant incorporation of particle widths?

In summary, the conversation discusses the incorporation of widths while retaining gauge invariance in particle physics. Suggestions are made to use the Breit-Wigner propagator and replace m^2 in denominators with (m-i\gamma/2)^2. It is noted that this method may not always preserve gauge invariance, but it can still be used in calculations. The importance of gauge invariance in certain processes is also mentioned.
EL
Science Advisor
Introducing particle width via the Breit-Wigner propagator can break gauge invariance.
Anyone know of some "nice" way to incorporate widths while still retaining gauge invariance?

Physics news on Phys.org
You could try replacing m^2 in denominators by (m-i\gamma/2)^2.
If that breaks GI, just stay in that particular gauge.

I'm not really able to see how that method gives hope to retain gauge invariance if the ordinary Breit-Wigner fails? I mean, all it does just to add one more term, quadratic in "gamma", in the denominators?

(And for two simple cases I've checked, Compton scattering and electron-positron annihilation, it doesn't help to restore GI.)

If an approximation breaks GI. You can do everything in that gauge.
You don't need GI to complete an approximate calclation.

I would like to have a gauge invariant amplitude since I suspect strong cancelations are important in the certain process I'm interested in.

If I do as you suggest and just stick to a certain gauge, which one is the "correct" to be in when I insert the width in the propagators?

1. What is gauge invariant incorporation of particle widths?

Gauge invariant incorporation of particle widths is a concept in theoretical physics that refers to the inclusion of particle widths, or decay rates, in calculations while maintaining gauge invariance. It is important for accurately predicting and describing the behavior of particles in quantum field theory.

2. Why is gauge invariance important in particle physics?

Gauge invariance is an essential principle in particle physics that ensures the consistency and accuracy of theoretical calculations. It is a fundamental symmetry that dictates that the physical laws and equations describing the behavior of particles should not change under certain transformations, such as changes in the units used to measure quantities.

3. How are particle widths incorporated into gauge invariant calculations?

Particle widths are incorporated into gauge invariant calculations through the use of the LSZ reduction formula, which relates the scattering amplitudes of particles to their widths. This formula allows for the inclusion of these widths in calculations without violating gauge invariance.

4. What are the practical applications of gauge invariant incorporation of particle widths?

Gauge invariant incorporation of particle widths is used in various areas of particle physics, such as in the study of particle interactions and decay processes. It is also important for accurately predicting the properties of particles in experiments and for developing new theories and models in particle physics.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations to gauge invariant incorporation of particle widths?

One challenge of gauge invariant incorporation of particle widths is the complexity of the calculations and the need for advanced mathematical techniques. Additionally, there may be limitations in certain scenarios, such as when the particle widths are very small or when dealing with non-renormalizable theories.