Earth's rotational speed in the past.

In summary, the Earth's rotational speed has decreased by 1.5 milliseconds per century over the past few centuries, while the moon's orbital speed has remained constant. Additionally, relative to a stationary sun, the Earth's orbital speed is approximately 30,000 kilometers per hour.
Dana Dedrick
I was hoping to discover how the current rotational speed of the Earth differs from the past. I'm also curious about the moon's relative distance and orbital speed in the past. And can anyone tell me how fast I am currently moving through space, given all of the variables involved.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Dana Dedrick said:
I was hoping to discover how the current rotational speed of the Earth differs from the past.
At present, the Earth's period of rotation slows at a rate of 1.5 milliseconds per century.
I'm also curious about the moon's relative distance and orbital speed in the past.
At present, the Moon is receding from the Earth at 3.8 cm per year. You can find the change in orbital speed by applying Kepler's Laws to this.
And can anyone tell me how fast I am currently moving through space, given all of the variables involved.

Relative to what reference?

Janus said:
Relative to what reference?

As Janus pointed out that question is actually an incredibly important detail and the foundation of Einstein's relativity theory. But I'm going to assume the answer you're looking for is how fast is the Earth moving around the sun if we consider the sun to be stationary (correct me if I'm wrong). In which case we have:

[tex]\frac{mv^2}{r}=\frac{GMm}{r^2} \rightarrow v = \sqrt{\frac{GM}{r}}[/tex] where M is the mass of the sun (approximately 2*10^30) and r is approximately one AU (Astronomical unit = 149*10^9 meters). Therefore, the Earth's orbital speed relative to a stationary sun is approximately:

[tex]\sqrt{\frac{(6.67\times10^{-11})(2\times10^{30})}{149\times10^9}} \approx 30 000 m/s = 108 000 km/h[/tex]

So 108,000 km/h. We can double check this by seeing that:

[tex]\omega = \frac{v}{r} = \frac{30 000}{149\times10^9} \approx 2\times10^{-7}[/tex]

and since [tex]T=\frac{2\pi}{\omega}=\frac{2\pi}{2\times10^{-7}} \approx 3.12\times10^7 s[/tex]

Therefore, by the velocity we calculated it takes 3.12*10^7 seconds for the Earth to revolve around the sun once which is approximately 361 days (remember we rounded pretty much everything a fair bit).

Thank you for the information! My curiosity as to my relative speed includes the sun's orbit in its solar cluster, the galaxy arm's relative speed and the galaxy's motion itself. My relative speed in mph. all things considered. Thanks!

Well a cosmic year (the approximate time it takes our solar system to rotate once around the milky way galaxy) is approximately 225 million years (= 1.971*10^12 hours) and the Earth's approximate distance from the center of the milky way is 28,000 light years (2.649*10^17 km) so:

[tex]T=\frac{2\pi}{\omega} = \frac{2\pi r}{v} \rightarrow v = \frac{2\pi r}{T} = \frac{2\pi (2.649\times10^{17})}{1.97\times10^{12}}=845 000 km/h[/tex]

So the Earth is orbiting the milkyway of a speed that is roughly 845 000km/hr

A good way to remember the motions was described by the noted cosmologist E Idle.

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour,
That's orbiting at nineteen miles a second, so it's reckoned,
A sun that is the source of all our power.
The sun and you and me and all the stars that we can see
Are moving at a million miles a day
In an outer spiral arm, at forty thousand miles an hour,
Of the galaxy we call the "Milky Way".

It doesn't descibe the motion of the galaxy through the local virgo supercluster - either this wasn't well known in the 70s or just didn't ryhme!

Last edited:

1. What is Earth's rotational speed in the past?

Earth's rotational speed in the past was significantly faster than it is today. It is estimated that the Earth's rotation was about 5 hours long during the Precambrian era, and has gradually slowed down to its current rotation of 24 hours.

2. How do scientists measure Earth's rotational speed in the past?

Scientists use a variety of methods to measure Earth's rotational speed in the past, including studying fossil records, analyzing sediment layers, and using astronomical data such as lunar eclipses.

3. What factors influence Earth's rotational speed in the past?

Earth's rotational speed in the past has been influenced by several factors, including the distribution of mass on the planet's surface, changes in the Earth's orbit, and geological events such as earthquakes and volcanic eruptions.

4. Has Earth's rotational speed in the past always been constant?

No, Earth's rotational speed in the past has not always been constant. It has been affected by various events and factors, causing it to speed up or slow down at different points in history.

5. What impact does Earth's rotational speed in the past have on the planet?

The Earth's rotational speed in the past has had a significant impact on the planet's climate, geological processes, and the length of a day. Changes in rotational speed can also affect the Earth's magnetic field and the distribution of land and water on the planet's surface.