What is the angle between a vector and the positive x-axis?

In summary, the angle between the vector A = -24.5i + 45.4j and the positive x-axis is 118.35 degrees. The magnitude of the vector is not needed to find the angle, which can be calculated using the tangent function and taking into account the x and y components. The magnitude of the vector can be found using the formula (x^2 + y^2)^1/2. According to convention, the angle is measured from the x-axis in the counterclockwise direction, resulting in a positive angle of 118.35 degrees.
mbecker19
The angle (in degrees) between A = -24.5i + 45.4j, and the positive x-axis is?

Physics news on Phys.org
If A = xi + yj, then tan(theta) = y/x

i still don't know how to figure out the angle I am confused
i know the magnitude of the vector is 38.3 but what is the x or y component

actually i figured it out all i had to do was set tan-1(45.4/-24.5) and got 61.65 and then added the 28.35 which was the extra onto the already existing 90 degrees and got 118.35 deg
thank you

In this vector, x component is -24.5 and y component is 45.4. To find the angle the magnitude of the vector in not needed.
And the magnitude of the vector is given by (x^2 + y^2)^1/2

You have to wright it as -118.35 deg, because according to convention, if you measure the angle from the x-axis in the antyclockwise direction, the angle is positive. Otherwise it is negative.

1. What is the definition of vector angle?

The vector angle is the measurement of the rotation from the initial position of a vector to its final position, measured in degrees or radians.

2. What is the formula for finding the angle of a vector?

The formula for finding the angle of a vector is θ = cos⁻¹ (v•w / |v||w|), where v and w are the two vectors and • represents the dot product.

3. How do you find the angle of a vector in 3-dimensional space?

To find the angle of a vector in 3-dimensional space, you can use the same formula as in 2-dimensional space, but you will need to take into account the z-component of the vectors as well.

4. Can the angle of a vector be negative?

Yes, the angle of a vector can be negative. This occurs when the rotation is in a clockwise direction, which is opposite to the orientation of positive angles.

5. How is the angle of a vector used in physics?

The angle of a vector is used in physics to calculate the magnitude and direction of forces and motion. It is also used in vector addition and subtraction to determine the resultant vector.