Where does my (small) notebook go wrong?

• Thread starter Shukie
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker shares their experience using a spectroscope to find Rydberg's constant, but is having trouble using NonLinearModelFit on their dataset to find the constant. They ask for help and another person suggests using different starting points, which ultimately solves the problem.
Shukie
Hi all,

A few days ago I have done an experiment with a spectroscope to find the value of Rydberg's constant. In my notebook I have a dataset that I want to use a NonLinearModelFit on to find this constant. However, it will not work and I just can't figure out why it won't. I have gotten rid of everything else in the notebook to keep it as clear as possible:

View attachment Notebook1.nb

Could anyone please take a look?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the problem is all in your starting points. Do you have a better starting point for "p" than one?
I see that {p,0} or {p,0.027} works:
Code:
fit3 = NonlinearModelFit[
  dat1, \[Theta]nul + \[Alpha] + (ArcSin[p k - Sin[\[Alpha]]]), {{p, 
    0}, {\[Theta]nul, 3.15}, {\[Alpha], 0.}}, k, Weights -> wt]

Thanks a bunch, that works indeed!

1. Where should I start if my notebook is not working properly?

The first step is to identify the specific issue. Is the notebook not turning on? Are there error messages? Once you have a clear understanding of the problem, you can begin troubleshooting.

2. How do I know if the issue is with the hardware or software?

If the notebook is not turning on or is displaying error messages, it is likely a hardware issue. If the issue is with specific programs or functions, it may be a software issue. You can also try running hardware diagnostics to determine if there are any hardware failures.

3. Can I fix the issue myself or do I need to take it to a professional?

It depends on the level of expertise and knowledge you have with computers. If you are not comfortable troubleshooting and making repairs, it is best to take it to a professional. Otherwise, you can try following online tutorials or reaching out to technical support for assistance.

4. How can I prevent future issues with my notebook?

Regular maintenance and updates can help prevent future issues with your notebook. Keep your software and drivers up to date, clean the hardware regularly, and avoid downloading suspicious files or programs.

5. Is it worth repairing an older notebook or should I just buy a new one?

It depends on the severity and cost of the repairs. If the repairs are minor and cost-effective, it may be worth fixing your current notebook. However, if the repairs are significant and the notebook is outdated, it may be more cost-effective to invest in a new one.