Resources Thread: Finding What Your Education is Worth

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of creating a resources thread or sticky regarding the earning potential of different majors. The link provided compares the data for physics and engineering majors, showing that engineering tends to have higher earning potential. The conversation also mentions a desire to find similar statistics for college professors, specifically in mathematics, in order to compare the pay of quants and professors.
TylerH
Physics news on Phys.org
I always find it interesting to compare the data for physics majors and engineering majors, because that seems to be a common decision for students entering university who enjoy physics, and often the reason for the choice of engineering is based on future earning potential.

It would seem that physics (not "physical sciences") majors fall into about the middle of the pack of the various engineering disciplines - according to this data. And that seems to be consistent from what I've seen elsewhere.

I'd like to get analogous stats about college professors, specifically, mathematics professors, but I can't find any. Similar to your inquiry I want to compare quants and professors in terms of pay, to get a good idea of whether it's worth it to sell out.

1. What is the purpose of the "Resources Thread: Finding What Your Education is Worth"?

The purpose of this resource thread is to provide individuals with resources and information to help them determine the value and worth of their education. It aims to assist individuals in understanding the return on investment for their education and how to make the most of their educational experience.

2. What types of resources can be found in this thread?

This thread contains a variety of resources, including articles, websites, and tools, that can help individuals evaluate the value of their education. These resources cover topics such as job market trends, salary information, and tips for maximizing the value of one's education.

3. How can this thread be useful for students or recent graduates?

For students or recent graduates, this thread can be useful in providing insight into the potential return on investment for their educational pursuits. It can also help individuals make informed decisions about their education and career choices by providing them with information on job market trends and salary expectations.

4. Can this thread be helpful for individuals who are considering going back to school or pursuing further education?

Yes, this thread can be beneficial for individuals who are considering going back to school or pursuing further education. It can provide them with information on the potential return on investment for their chosen field of study and help them make informed decisions about their educational and career goals.

5. Are the resources in this thread specific to a certain country or region?

The resources in this thread may vary in terms of their focus on specific countries or regions. However, the thread aims to provide a wide range of resources that can be applicable to individuals from various countries and regions. It is recommended to check the sources of each resource to determine its relevance to one's specific location.