What is the mathematical equation for an aspheric lens surface?

In summary, the conversation discusses an equation for a custom lens surface and the use of aspheres in optical systems. The equation provided is a truncated portion of an infinite series that represents the departure from a spherical surface. Aspheres are used to correct for spherical aberration but are generally expensive and not commonly used. The conversation also suggests some recommended readings for further understanding.
Drakkith
Mentor
I'm messing around with an optical design program, and it's got an option to enter a custom lens surface using something similar to this equation.

z = ax^2 + bx^4 + cx^6 + dx^8

The problem is, I have no idea what this means. Looking around online I found this equation and a partial description of what Z and X mean, but that's it. Any help available?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Aspheres are generally defined in terms of their departure from a spherical surface. In your case, it seems to be an expression for the actual surface sag- if the height off the optical axis is 'x', the departure from a plane z= 0 is given by your expansion (which is really a truncated portion of the infinite series).

As an example, consider a Schmidt corrector plate, commonly used in large aperture telescopes, trackers, and projectors. For distant objects, the reflecting surface free of spherical aberration is a paraboloid, which has a sag of ax^2. So, to correct a spherical surface one must cancel the term bx^4 (and higher terms), so the sag of a Schmidt corrector has the form z = ax^2+bx^4, where all the a's and b's are specific to the particular surface.

Use of aspheres in optical systems is generally frowned upon (although with new manufacturing techniques they are becoming more accepted) due to the expense of manufacture and specialized alignment tooling. There are good discussions in:

Malacara "Optical Shop Testing", Wiley (ch. 18)
Schulz, "Aspheric Surfaces", Progress in Optics vol. XXV, Wolf (ed.), 1988
Shannon, "Aspheric Surfaces", Applied Optics and Optical Engineering vol. VIII, 1980
Menchaca and Malacara, "Toroidal and Sphero-Cylindrical Surfaces" Appl. Opt. 25, 3008-3009 (1986).
Malacara et. al., "Axially Astigmatic Surfaces: Different Types and Their Properties" Opt. Eng 35 3422-3426 (1996).

Thanks Andy. It looks like my Telescope Optics book isn't going to cut it and I'll have to invest in a much more detailed book, because I barely understood any of that lol. Thanks for the references too.

Related to What is the mathematical equation for an aspheric lens surface?

What is an aspheric surface?

An aspheric surface is a type of curved surface that deviates from a perfect spherical shape. It is designed to correct for aberrations in optical systems and improve the quality of images or light focus.

Why is aspheric surface calculation important?

Aspheric surface calculation is important because it allows for the design and manufacture of high-quality optical systems. By accurately calculating the aspheric surface, aberrations can be minimized, resulting in improved image quality and light focusing.

How is aspheric surface calculated?

Aspheric surface calculation involves the use of mathematical equations and computer software to determine the shape and parameters of the aspheric surface. The calculation takes into account factors such as desired optical performance, lens material, and manufacturing limitations.

What are the benefits of using aspheric surfaces?

Using aspheric surfaces in optical systems can offer several benefits, including improved image quality, reduced aberrations, lighter and more compact designs, and increased light transmission. Aspheric surfaces are also more cost-effective compared to using multiple spherical lenses to achieve the same optical performance.

What are the limitations of aspheric surfaces?

Although aspheric surfaces can improve the performance of optical systems, there are some limitations to consider. Aspheric surfaces are more challenging to manufacture compared to spherical lenses, which can increase production costs. Aspheric surfaces may also introduce new types of aberrations that need to be carefully controlled during the design and manufacturing process.