Seemingly Simple Algebra (Exponent Rules)

In summary, the basic exponent rules in algebra include the product rule, quotient rule, power rule, zero exponent rule, and negative exponent rule. To simplify expressions with exponents, you can use the exponent rules to combine like terms, divide and multiply exponents, and simplify any negative or zero exponents. In exponent notation, the coefficient is the number that is multiplied by the base, which is the number being raised to a power. You cannot combine exponents with different bases unless they are being multiplied or divided, in which case you can use the product and quotient rules to simplify the expression. To handle negative exponents in algebra, you can use the negative exponent rule, which states that a negative exponent can be rewritten as a positive exponent
janac
I understand that

a(b/c)

=

[itex]\sqrt[c]{}(a^b)[/itex]

so this suggests that
(-1)(2/3)

[itex]\sqrt[3]{}((-1)^2)[/itex] = -1 right?

Wolfram alpha and my calculator disagree.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hey januc and welcome to the forums

Convert things to the exponential form if you want to do stuff like this. Exponential form is e^(i x theta) = cos(theta) + i x sin(theta)

1. What are the basic exponent rules in algebra?

The basic exponent rules in algebra include the product rule, quotient rule, power rule, zero exponent rule, and negative exponent rule.

2. How do I simplify expressions with exponents?

To simplify expressions with exponents, you can use the exponent rules to combine like terms, divide and multiply exponents, and simplify any negative or zero exponents.

3. What is the difference between a coefficient and a base in exponent notation?

In exponent notation, the coefficient is the number that is multiplied by the base, which is the number being raised to a power. For example, in the expression 23, 2 is the base and 3 is the exponent.

4. Can I combine exponents with different bases?

No, you cannot combine exponents with different bases unless they are being multiplied or divided. In that case, you can use the product and quotient rules to simplify the expression.

5. How do I handle negative exponents in algebra?

To handle negative exponents in algebra, you can use the negative exponent rule, which states that a negative exponent can be rewritten as a positive exponent by moving the base to the opposite side of the fraction and changing the sign of the exponent.