Math Prep for Graduate Physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's background in mathematics and their plans to take more math courses to complete their physics degree and prepare for graduate school. They mention considering taking courses such as PDE, Graph Theory, Complex Variables, Numerical Analysis, Intro to Topology, Real Analysis, and Intro to Mathematical Logic. The other person in the conversation advises focusing on Complex Variables, Numerical Analysis, and PDEs for practical use in physics. The conversation also touches on the importance of various mathematical topics in theoretical physics and their potential applications.
Jim Jam
I've taken the typical undergraduate physics program required math: calculus series, linear algebra, Diff Eq (this fall, 2012), and an extra mathematical reasoning/proof writing class.

I need a few more maths to complete my physics degree and pick up a math minor, and to prepare for physics grad school. The plan was to take PDE and Graph Theory. I know Diff Eq and PDE are very useful so I'll definitely take them, but Graph Theory is just interesting and perhaps not so useful. Complex Variables is frequently mentioned as being good preparation...

Swap graph theory for something else? Take it, and take more math?
Possible upper level math choices: Complex Variables, Numerical Analysis, Graph Theory, Intro to Topology, Real Analysis 1, Intro to Mathematical Logic (pure math, symbolic logic, etc.).

Physics news on Phys.org
Complex Variables and Numerical Analysis would be the ones you would use out of what you listed, if you are not getting too much into the theoretical/mathematical side. I am a Physics major/math minor and have been looking up what I would need and I have decided to take upper level PDEs, complex variables, and applied linear algebra.

Complex variables, numerical analysis, and PDEs do seem to be the recommendations of choice, because I was told the same thing by a number of people, including the physics dept chair at my school.

So not to bore everyone with my scheduling issues, but it looks like Complex Variables is out of the question. Numerical Analysis looks good, here's the description my school provides:

Introduction to Numerical Analysis
Accuracy and precision. Linear systems and matrices. Direct and iterative methods for solution of linear equations. Sparse matrices. Solution of nonlinear equations. Interpolation and approximate representation of functions, splines. Prerequisite: [Multivariable Calc]. [Introduction to Computing in Mathematics] and [Linear Algebra I] are recommended.

Would that qualify as
Lord_Sidious said:
too much into the theoretical/mathematical side.
to be of any use?

If you want to do theoretical physics, you should at least know the following topics.
- Algebra (Groups, rings, modules, vector spaces, categories)
- Topology (general ,algebraic and differential topology are needed)
- Real and complex analysis
- Differential geometry and analysis on manifolds

Basically, a physicist can never know enough mathematics.

espen180 said:
If you want to do theoretical physics, you should at least know the following topics.
- Algebra (Groups, rings, modules, vector spaces, categories)
- Topology (general ,algebraic and differential topology are needed)
- Real and complex analysis
- Differential geometry and analysis on manifolds

And out of curiosity, on what basis are you selecting these topics?

Jim Jam said:
And out of curiosity, on what basis are you selecting these topics?

I would say because groups and abstract algebra for particle gauge theory, abstract vector spaces are used a lot, like in quantum mechanical hilbert space..."topology (general ,algebraic and differential), and differential geometry and analysis on manifolds" are used for general relativity but those not really used for basic graduate physics unless you take GR.
Numerical Analysis would be useful because you will have a better feeling for getting numerical solutions to linear and nonlinear equations.

1. What is "Math Prep for Graduate Physics"?

"Math Prep for Graduate Physics" is a course designed to help students improve their mathematical skills for success in graduate-level physics courses. It covers topics such as calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations that are essential for understanding advanced physics concepts.

2. Who is this course intended for?

This course is intended for students who are planning to pursue a graduate degree in physics or a related field. It is also helpful for current graduate students who want to strengthen their mathematical foundation for their studies.

3. What are the benefits of taking this course?

By taking this course, students can improve their mathematical skills, which are essential for success in graduate-level physics courses. They will also gain a better understanding of the mathematical concepts used in physics and be better prepared for more advanced coursework.

4. Do I need to have a strong math background to take this course?

While a strong math background is helpful, it is not required. This course is designed to help students build a strong foundation in math for physics, so even if you have some gaps in your math knowledge, you can still benefit from this course.

5. How can I enroll in this course?

This course is typically offered through universities as part of their graduate physics program. You can check with your university's physics department to see if this course is available. Alternatively, there are online resources and textbooks available for self-study.