D^2T/dx^2 + d^2T/dy^2 + d^2T/dz^2 = C

• Thread starter timsea81
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses solving the heat conduction formula in 3 dimensions with constant generation from electrical resistance. The solution involves using separation of variables and assuming a particular solution with the form T = τ + Ax^2 + Bx^2 + Dx^2. Boundary conditions can be used to find the values of A, B, and D.
timsea81
I'm trying to solve the heat conduction formula in 3 dimensions when there is constant generation from electrical resistance q'''. This creates a constant C on the right hand side that is equal to q'''/k.

T=T(x,y,z)
d^2T/dx^2 + d^2T/dy^2 + d^2T/dz^2 = C

I found a solution using separation of variables for when the right hand side equals 0, but it doesn't work with a non-zero constant on the right, because you end up with:

X'''/x + Y'''/y + Z'''/z = C/XYZ

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I got it, maybe. I can solve the homogeneous equation:

d^2τ/dx^2 + d^2τ/dy^2 + d^2τ/dz^2 = 0

and then assume the particular solution to have the form:

T = τ + Ax^2 + Bx^2 + Dx^2

That makes

d^2T/dx^2 + d^2T/dy^2 + d^2T/dz^2 = 0 + 2A + 2B + 2D,

So 2A + 2B + 2D = -C

and I can use boundary conditions to find A, B, and D

?

You need to start with a particular solution ([itex]Cx^2/2[/itex] will suffice, but if you expect your solution to have certain symmetry properties then it might be worth looking for a particular solution which shares those properties) and then add complementary functions to satisfy the boundary conditions.

FAQ: D^2T/dx^2 + d^2T/dy^2 + d^2T/dz^2 = C

1. What does the equation D^2T/dx^2 + d^2T/dy^2 + d^2T/dz^2 = C represent?

The equation D^2T/dx^2 + d^2T/dy^2 + d^2T/dz^2 = C represents a partial differential equation that describes the rate at which a certain property, T, changes at a specific point in space, characterized by its position along the x, y, and z axes.

2. What is the significance of the constant, C, in the equation?

The constant, C, represents the source or sink term in the equation. It can represent the rate at which the property, T, is being added or removed from the system at a specific point in space.

3. How is this equation used in scientific research?

This equation is commonly used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and mathematics, to model physical processes that involve the change of a property, T, in three-dimensional space. It can be used to study heat transfer, fluid flow, and other phenomena.

4. What are the units of the different terms in the equation?

The units of the terms D^2T/dx^2, d^2T/dy^2, and d^2T/dz^2 are typically in units of T per distance squared (e.g. degrees Celsius per meter squared). The constant, C, will have units specific to the property, T, being studied.

5. Are there any limitations to this equation?

While this equation can accurately model many physical processes, it does have its limitations. It assumes a continuous and smooth distribution of the property, T, and may not accurately describe systems with discontinuities or sharp changes in T. It also does not take into account other factors such as external forces or boundary conditions, which may affect the behavior of T.

Back