Optimizing Gear Train Simulation with Exponential Acceleration and Braking

In summary, the conversation was about building a computer simulation for a 3 gear train system. The gears rotate with mouse movement horizontally and a motor and braking system were added to start/stop rotation with mouse clicks. The rotation angle was multiplied by [1-e(-t/TC)] for exponential acceleration and e(-t/TC) for exponential deceleration. The equation for the change in RPM with time was discussed and the meshed gears will have kinetic energy proportional to RPM squared. The equation for the change in velocity over time was also mentioned. There may be some energy losses that will affect RPM, but they were ignored for the simulation. The goal was to create an acceptable visual effect, but using the real equation would be better.
TechFan
Hi:
I'm building a computer simulation for a 3 gear train system. So far the gears rotate with mouse movement horizontally. Now I'm adding a fictitious motor and braking system to start/stop rotation with mouse clicks. I multiplied the rotation angle by [1-e(-t/TC)] to simulate exponential acceleration and e(-t/TC) for braking for exponential deceleration. Is exponential is the right way to do it? or is there any other better equation. This is just a simple case with no other external conditions influencing; but just the system inertia.
In general terms this is the equation I'm using.
Acceleration=[1-e(-t/TC)];// acceleration case
Acceleration=[e(-t/TC)];// braking case

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
The meshed gears will have kinetic energy proportional to RPM squared.
The motor will provide that energy. You must specify the Torque to RPM curve for the motor.

Power = torque * RPM = watts = joules of energy per second.
Use that to compute the change in velocity over time as energy flows in or out.

There will be some energy losses that will remove energy and so reduce the RPM. Ignore them for now, or make them proportional to RPM.

Likes 1 person
Hi:
Interesting info. I'll experiment trying to code that somehow (?) and see the results. My goal is just having an acceptable "visual effect", although using the real equation will be much better.
The real question would be: What is the equation for the change in rpm with time (angular acceleration)? I assumed it to be exponential so it will tend to the end value asymptotically with time in both cases.
Thanks

Wow that is awesome!. Thanks.

What is "gears' inertial response"?

"Gears' inertial response" refers to the phenomenon where gears in a mechanical system exhibit a delay in their response to changes in input torque or speed due to their inertia. In other words, the gears take some time to accelerate or decelerate in response to a change in the input torque or speed.

How does the inertial response of gears affect their performance?

The inertial response of gears can have both positive and negative effects on their performance. On one hand, it can help to smooth out sudden changes in input torque, resulting in more stable and consistent output. On the other hand, it can also cause delays and inaccuracies in the gear system's response to changes in input, leading to decreased efficiency and precision.

What factors contribute to the inertial response of gears?

The inertial response of gears is influenced by several factors, including the mass and geometry of the gears, the material they are made of, and the design of the gear system. Additionally, the load and speed of the gears can also impact their inertial response.

How can the inertial response of gears be reduced?

There are several ways to reduce the inertial response of gears. One approach is to use lighter materials for the gears, which can decrease their inertia and improve their responsiveness. Another option is to design the gear system to minimize the distance between the input and output, reducing the amount of time and energy required for the gears to respond to changes in torque or speed.

What are some practical applications of understanding gears' inertial response?

Understanding gears' inertial response is important in a variety of fields, such as mechanical engineering, robotics, and transportation. It can help engineers design more efficient and precise gear systems, and can also be used to improve the performance of machines and devices that rely on gears, such as cars, bicycles, and industrial equipment.