Developing equation for specific wave

In summary, the speaker is seeking guidance on how to write an equation for a plane wave with specific requirements, including transverse, 3D, and propagation vector parallel to (-1, 0, 1). They are unsure of how to begin and are open to any help or recommendations. The suggested equation for the wave includes a direction of propagation and a direction of polarization.
infraray
First off I apologize if this is in the wrong section, but I was not certain to where it belonged. If I am given a set of requirements for an e-m wave, i.e.: must contain all following: transverse, 3d, plane wave, propagation vector parallel to (-1,0,1), through plane defined by (1,0,1) and (0,1,0), etc (from memory). How would I begin to write an equation for this? I assuming I must start with say: Ae^ik[(alpha(x)+beta(y)+gamma(z))±wt] or some variant, but I am a bit weak when it comes to crafting equations. Perhaps I am lacking in my pedagogy, I just can't seem to see the big picture. Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your wave will have the form
[tex]\vec E = \vec E_0 e^{i \left( \vec k \cdot \vec x - \omega t \right)}[/tex]
where [itex]\vec k[/itex] is in the direction of propagation and [itex]\vec E _0[/itex] is perpendicular to [itex]\vec k[/itex] and in the direction of polarization.

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out with your question. Developing equations for specific waves can be a challenging task, but with some guidance, it can become easier. Let's break down the requirements given and see how we can incorporate them into an equation.

1. Transverse wave: A transverse wave is a type of wave where the displacement of the medium is perpendicular to the direction of propagation. This means that the wave will have a displacement in the x and z directions, while the propagation will be in the y direction.

2. 3D wave: A 3D wave means that the wave will have displacement in all three dimensions (x, y, z).

3. Plane wave: A plane wave is a type of wave where the wavefronts are flat and parallel, meaning the wave will have a constant amplitude and phase across the entire wavefront.

4. Propagation vector: The propagation vector, also known as the wave vector, represents the direction and magnitude of the wave's propagation. In this case, the vector is given as (-1, 0, 1), which means the wave is propagating in the -x direction, has no propagation in the y direction, and is propagating in the z direction.

5. Through plane defined by (1, 0, 1) and (0, 1, 0): This means that the wave must pass through the points (1, 0, 1) and (0, 1, 0). This can help us determine the direction of the wave's displacement.

Based on these requirements, we can start with the general equation for a transverse wave:

y(x, y, z, t) = A sin(kx ± ωt)

Here, A represents the amplitude of the wave, k represents the wave number, ω represents the angular frequency, and t represents time.

To incorporate the 3D aspect, we can add a second term for the displacement in the z direction:

y(x, y, z, t) = A sin(kx ± ωt) + B sin(kz ± ωt)

Next, we need to determine the values for A and B. Since the wave is transverse, the displacement must be perpendicular to the propagation. This means that A and B must be equal but opposite in direction. So, we can set A = -B.

Now, we can incorporate the propagation vector by using the dot product

1. What is a specific wave equation?

A specific wave equation is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of a specific type of wave. It is used to calculate the properties of the wave at different points in space and time.

2. How is a specific wave equation developed?

A specific wave equation is developed through a combination of experimental data and theoretical models. Scientists use observations and measurements of waves in the real world to create a mathematical model that accurately describes the behavior of the wave.

3. What factors are considered when developing a specific wave equation?

When developing a specific wave equation, factors such as the wave's frequency, amplitude, wavelength, and propagation speed are considered. Other factors may also be taken into account depending on the type of wave being studied.

4. Why is it important to have a specific wave equation?

A specific wave equation allows scientists to accurately predict the behavior of a wave and understand its properties. It also helps in the development of technology and applications that utilize waves, such as communication systems, medical imaging, and weather forecasting.

5. Can a specific wave equation be used for any type of wave?

No, a specific wave equation is developed for a particular type of wave and may not be applicable to other types of waves. Different types of waves, such as sound waves and electromagnetic waves, have their own unique equations that describe their behavior.