Angular momentum preservation problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of angular velocity for a rod that falls straight down with only translational velocity and hits a step on the ground. It provides two equations for calculating angular velocity using moment of inertia, velocity, mass, and angle between the ground and the rod. However, it also mentions that these equations may not be entirely accurate due to factors such as momentum and energy not being conserved during the collision.
Guille_L
1. A rod (A-B) with the length L falls straight down with only translational velocity. The angle between the ground and the rod is O. When the rod hits the ground, the end A hits a step which stops A from sliding. Determine the angular velocity right after it hits the ground. http://oi43.tinypic.com/2a7zxpz.jpg

I = moment of inertia
v = velocity
m = mass
w = angular velocity

I = (mL^2)/3

Angular momentum:
LsinO*m*v = Iw = m*L^2*w/3

w = 3v/L

OR

T = kinetic energy = Iw^2/2 becomes
V = potential energy = mgLsinO

Put them equal and you get

w^2 = 3gsinO/L

==========================
I know I am not getting this 100% just don't know how to combine it.
I have used the following as help:
http://www.mech.kth.se/~hanno/LosnTent5C1140Mar05.pdf

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure momentum is conserved (unless you include momentum of the earth). In the case where the rod is vertical, the rod just stops at the time of collision. The collision is inelastic, so energy is not conserved either.

1. What is the Angular Momentum Preservation Problem?

The Angular Momentum Preservation Problem is a concept in physics that refers to the conservation of angular momentum in a system. This means that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless an external torque is applied.

2. Why is Angular Momentum Preservation important?

Angular Momentum Preservation is important because it is a fundamental law of physics that applies to all physical systems, from the motion of planets to the movement of subatomic particles. It helps us understand and predict the behavior of objects in motion.

3. How does Angular Momentum Preservation relate to Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newton's Laws of Motion describe the relationship between the forces acting on an object and its motion. The conservation of angular momentum is a consequence of Newton's First Law, which states that an object will remain in its state of motion unless acted upon by an external force.

4. What factors can affect Angular Momentum Preservation?

There are several factors that can affect Angular Momentum Preservation, including external torques, the distribution of mass in a system, and the distance between objects. For example, if the distance between two objects changes, the system's angular momentum will also change.

5. How is Angular Momentum Preservation used in real-world applications?

Angular Momentum Preservation has numerous real-world applications, including in engineering, astronomy, and sports. It is used to design stable structures, predict the movement of planets and satellites, and even improve the performance of athletes in sports such as ice skating and gymnastics.