What Fossils Can You Find Outside?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    fossils
In summary, the conversation is about a group of people sharing their interest in fossils and showing pictures of their own collections. They discuss the different types of fossils they have found, such as limestone, sandstone, and quartz, and speculate on the locations and time periods of their origins. They also share tips on preserving and displaying fossils, and express their desire to visit famous fossil sites like the one where Sue the T-Rex was found.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Here are a few of my fossil rocks I picked up outside, they are everywhere.

I am going to post some large ones for detail, so sorry if you have to scroll. I was going to post this in Earth but images are disabled.

Bear with me as I add pictures.

fossil51qw1.jpg

fossil3mp7.jpg

brachipodsfernleafka1.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
pdr00401nk2.jpg

pdr00421ho6.jpg

pdr00431cw9.jpg

Nice! There must be limestone everywhere around you.

Nice Evo! The cylindrical ones in the first picture look like crynoid stems while the others look like fossil bryozoans ie; coral. I actually took a trip to an old limestone quarry in Alabama just a few days ago. If I can take some pics i'll post them up.

Yes, if you have fossil pictures, post them here!

It's sandstone and limestone turbo. Unfortunately I had to leave all of my fossil rocks except for these few at my old house, I had hundreds. I see some down in the ditch of darn though.

I have more pictures I am trying to find.

This one is quartz, but it appears to have formed around something that is not part of the quartz. If I had my old photo software,you could see how the quartz forms a lattice enclosure over something inside.

fossilenclosedbs5.jpg

This is the other side.

pdr0065em4.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool!

You could set up a road side stand and sell fossils to tourists. :biggrin:

I really need to scan the ones in my display case, but here's a few I have laying on my dresser and coffee table.

Brachiopods
brachipods.jpg

Underside of the brachiopod at the bottom in the previous picture
brachipodcrystals.jpg

Bryozoans
bryozoa.jpg

Crinoid Stems
crinoids.jpg

Those are awesome B.Elliot! I wonder if mine are still at my old house? :cry: I had some crinoids as big around as my thumb and 8" long. <snif> Most of the really large brachiopods had slightly crushed tops where they had been exposed. Had what looked like shark teeth in some.

Evo said:
Those are awesome B.Elliot! I wonder if mine are still at my old house? :cry: I had some crinoids as big around as my thumb and 8" long. <snif> Most of the really large brachiopods had slightly crushed tops where they had been exposed. Had what looked like shark teeth in some.

Thank you. :biggrin:

I'd love to find some crinoids of that diameter, especially that length! All of mine range from a 1/4" to 1-1/2" at most. If you can get a hold of the shells with the teeth, I'd looove to see them.

B. Elliott said:
Thank you. :biggrin:

I'd love to find some crinoids of that diameter, especially that length! All of mine range from a 1/4" to 1-1/2" at most. If you can get a hold of the shells with the teeth, I'd looove to see them.
That crinoid stem in the middle of post two is one stem, you can see where it was broken, that one is about 10" long. Also, I should add that I can wear a size 7 ring on my thumb! I am positive that I moved with me a mid section of a crinoid inbedded in rock as big around as my thumb, very cool. I moved that one because it broke off from a larger piece and I threw it in the box. I will go crazy until I find it.

I hope all theses pictures don't completely overtake anyones connection, so i'll only post a few more. Awesome thread Evo! :biggrin:

Trilobites: Dalmanites
trilobites2.jpg

Trilobites
Top: Calymene
Bottom: Ptychagnostus
trilobites.jpg

Trilobite: Metacanthina
trilobite-1.jpg

Bryozoan: Plumatella repens (Not 100% sure)
coral.jpg

These are from a dig I went on at the Coon Creek formation in western Tennessee.
Top Right: Complete Pterotrigonia thoracica (Official Tennessee state fossil)
Others: Cyclina parva.
cooncreek.jpg

If you ever find any that are very brittle and you fear they might get broken, coat them in Mop and Glo with a small brush and allow them to dry. I treated mine over ten years ago and the coating is still very strong

Evo said:
That crinoid stem in the middle of post two is one stem, you can see where it was broken, that one is about 10" long. Also, I should add that I can wear a size 7 ring on my thumb! I am positive that I moved with me a mid section of a crinoid inbedded in rock as big around as my thumb, very cool. I moved that one because it broke off from a larger piece and I threw it in the box. I will go crazy until I find it.

Good lord that thing is big. If you don't mind me asking, where was your old place located at? It almost has to be the southeastern area of the midwest.

Here are some brachiopods, you can see the different shapes and sizes.

pdr0031pe0.jpg

B. Elliott said:
I hope all theses pictures don't completely overtake anyones connection, so i'll only post a few more. Awesome thread Evo! :biggrin:

Trilobites: Dalmanites
trilobites2.jpg

Trilobites
Top: Calymene
Bottom: Ptychagnostus
trilobites.jpg

Trilobite: Metacanthina
trilobite-1.jpg

Bryozoan: Plumatella repens (Not 100% sure)
coral.jpg

These are from a dig I went on at the Coon Creek formation in western Tennessee.
Top Right: Complete Pterotrigonia thoracica (Official Tennessee state fossil)
Others: Cyclina parva.
cooncreek.jpg

If you ever find any that are very brittle and you fear they might get broken, coat them in Mop and Glo with a small brush and allow them to dry. I treated mine over ten years ago and the coating is still very strong
Those are AWESOME! Unfortunately most rocks I pick up have been bulldozed by construction and it's hard to find nice whole specimens. I hate you! :biggrin:

I live in Kansas, we were undersea 440 million years ago.

Ugh, Kansas, the most boring state I've ever been...Too flat!

Cool fossils all.

Evo said:
Those are AWESOME! Unfortunately most rocks I pick up have been bulldozed by construction and it's hard to find nice whole specimens. I hate you! :biggrin:

I live in Kansas, we were undersea 440 million years ago.

Kansas?---Kansas has got some great places to go on the western side

I thought it would be fun to go to the Dakotas in the area where Sue was found if its available to the public

Can anyone identify the fossil toward the top right?

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/3229/pdr00301fn1.jpg

Arrgh, I had reduced this to e-mail it and hopefully the full size image is stil on the camera, but I have no way of downloading it right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should go into Paint and circle it...If its the one I think it is then it looks like a tiny trilobyte

I can enlarge it on my computer to see it beter, but I can't save it enlarged. It looks like a fleur de lis, not a trilobite.

rew, if you can view it enlarged on the Win 98 computer of yours, i'll e-mail it to you.

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/6439/pdr0030redev6.jpg

sure, send it-

(--I'll try anything at least one time)

rewebster said:
I thought it would be fun to go to the Dakotas in the area where Sue was found if its available to the public

Sadly, the US government is really starting to crack down on what fossils you can take from the land... unless it's a dig site that you go to with a university group or special organization. Even then, if you find anything spectacular, you're supposed to 'hand it over' (and that's if you even mention finding anything:biggrin:).

One that I always wanted to go to is u-digfossils in Utah. A Trilobite lovers dream...
http://www.u-digfossils.com/

Evo said:
Can anyone identify the fossil toward the top right?

It's pretty hard to tell because of the size. Given the ones you've shown so far it sounds like they'd range from the Carboniferous way back to the Ordovician. Here's a couple of quick reference charts...

Pennsylvanian
http://ebeltz.net/firstfam/penfos.gif

Mississippian
http://ebeltz.net/firstfam/misfos.gif

Devonian
http://ebeltz.net/firstfam/devfos.gif

Silurian
http://ebeltz.net/firstfam/silfos.gif

Ordovician
http://ebeltz.net/firstfam/ordfos.gif

Evo said:
If it is, what the heck is that pattern? I can see if pretty clearly on my computer.

Hopefully the original is still in the Toshiba.

well, sugar----it sort of like goshawks-----one of a variety of them -chewed up and spit out and then put 10 million pounds of pressure on and cook for a couple hundred million years---

-------

get a REAL close close-up--that may help a little

Last edited:
rewebster said:
well, sugar----it sort of like goshawks-----one of a variety of them -chewed up and spit out and then put 10 million pounds of pressure on and cook for a couple hundred million years---

-------

get a REAL close close-up--that may help a little
Look at the nearby fossils on the rock, they aren't changed...

I need to get that cable for my camera.

Evo said:
Look at the nearby fossils on the rock, they aren't changed...

I need to get that cable for my camera.

All of those fossils are not the full animal/plant---they are all parts and pieces

They were only selling for about 3 bucks on that link I posted---(and I would bet they sell them at RadioShack or Wal-Mart even)

(I got to go pop some microwave kettle corn --Dr. Who is starting in about 10 minutes)

Last edited:
rewebster said:
All of those fossils are not the full animal/plant---they are all parts and pieces

They were only selling for about 3 bucks on that link I posted---(and I would bet they sell them at RadioShack or Wal-Mart even)

(I got to go pop some microwave kettle corn --Dr. Who is starting in about 10 minutes)
You don't buy them, they're laying all over the ground here. The fun is finding some nice ones like B.Elliot's. But I still love mine.

Evo said:
You don't buy them, they're laying all over the ground here. The fun is finding some nice ones like B.Elliot's. But I still love mine.

He was talking about the camera cable. He must've been in a rush to get his popcorn, because the edit garbled it from what I saw before the edit. :rofl:

It's pretty hard to see on my computer...does it have a tail?

See if you can identify some other specimens within the same matrix. It might narrow down the environment and help give some better ideas... process of elimination.

Are those criniod stems in the same chunk? Can you narrow down what the species the shells might be? Do they look more scallop or clam-shaped?

Moonbear said:
He was talking about the camera cable. He must've been in a rush to get his popcorn, because the edit garbled it from what I saw before the edit. :rofl:
:rofl: <snork> :rofl:

B. Elliott said:
See if you can identify some other specimens within the same matrix. It might narrow down the environment and help give some better ideas... process of elimination.

Are those criniod stems in the same chunk? Can you narrow down what the species the shells might be? Do they look more scallop or clam-shaped?
I can't find my little brachiopod that had all of the tiny little raised dots all over it. I have never seen anything like it online or in any books, I was going to take it to KU to see if they could identify it. WHERE IS IT?

Anything like this little guy?...

http://www.1911encyclopedia.org/images/d/d8/Brachiopoda-16.jpg

B. Elliott said:
Anything like this little guy?...

http://www.1911encyclopedia.org/images/d/d8/Brachiopoda-16.jpg
Nope.

The closest thing to a fossil that I found was an old, looks like bleached snail shell. (maybe I'll post a pic) and mineral wise, mica.

Anyone else have any pictures of their fossils?

I dug around in the closet today and found a clump of matrix that I once had a few short and tall/thin gastropods still embedded in for display. The clump has since broken into two large pieces, so I plan on going ahead and removing every bit of matrix to see what's inside of it (if anything). I'm also going to try and fix a rare 'winged' gastropod that somehow fractured at one point. I didn't even know it was rare till one of the guides advised us to turn it in if we found one... not happening! :biggrin: I'll post pics when I'm done with them.

Last edited: