Why do some radioactive elements emit a green glow?

In summary, the conversation is about radioactivity and the question of when the famous "green glow" is visible. The person is seeking clarification on whether the glow is a myth and if it is caused by ionizing radiation from radioactive elements. They mention the possibility of it being like auroras and suggest that it could be caused by radium or other fluorescent minerals that glow under UV light. Another person mentions Cherenkov radiation and provides a link to a video showing a green glow. It is suggested that the green glow may come from radium and other fluorescent minerals that react to beta/gamma radiation.
SUDOnym
Hello

I am doing radioactivity with my year 10 class and it has set me think about something.
I would be grateful for clarification on the following issue and also any other facts that you would like to share that would be of interest to 14 year olds!

My issue: all the famous radioactive elements (eg. uranium, plutonium, polonium) look just like any other metal (ie. silver). In what instance will we get the famous "green glow"?
That glow is not a myth is it? - for example I have heard a number of times that before they were aware of the danger of radioactive elements women used to wear glowing green jewellery! (Please don't tell me that's not true!).
My thinking: One possible explanation I can think of for a green glow would be that the ionising radiation from the radioactive source would excite / ionise oxygen atoms and so when the atoms de-excite they emit green light (just like what happens with aurora... OIII is the emission line there?).

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
definitely green... skip to 7:00 minutes of the following link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4XIOpKWc1Y

However, a browse around wikipedia leads me to think that it is probably radium I am thinking of...

There are various fluorescent minerals which glow under UV, and in theory they would glow in the presence of beta/gamma radiation.
http://geoinfo.nmt.edu/publications/circulars/downloads/15/Circular%2015.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are radioactive elements?

Radioactive elements are atoms that have unstable nuclei, meaning they have an imbalance of protons and neutrons. This instability causes the atoms to emit radiation in the form of alpha, beta, or gamma particles in order to become more stable.

2. How are radioactive elements formed?

Radioactive elements are formed through a process called nuclear decay, which occurs in the cores of stars and during supernova explosions. They can also be created artificially through nuclear reactions in a laboratory setting.

3. What are some common examples of radioactive elements?

Some common examples of radioactive elements include uranium, radium, thorium, and plutonium. These elements are used in nuclear energy production, medical treatments, and various industrial applications.

4. What are the dangers of radioactive elements?

Exposure to high levels of radiation from radioactive elements can be harmful to living organisms, causing damage to cells and DNA. This can lead to various health effects such as cancer, genetic mutations, and radiation sickness.

5. How are radioactive elements used in everyday life?

Aside from their use in nuclear energy and medicine, radioactive elements also have practical applications in smoke detectors, sterilizing medical equipment, and determining the age of fossils and artifacts through radiometric dating.