The Convergence of Subsequences: Uncovering the Limits of Sequences

• Thread starter soul
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of convergence for a sequence and its subsequences. It is stated that a sequence converges if its limit exists and is unique. The example of a sequence with two converging subsequences, but no limit, is given. It is then proven that if a sequence converges, all its subsequences also converge to the same limit. This leads to the conclusion that if two subsequences of a sequence have different limits, the sequence itself does not converge.
soul
If two subsequences of a sequence {an} have different limits, does {an} converge? and Why?Could you prove it?

Physics news on Phys.org
By definition, we say that a (sub)sequence converges if its limit exists (and is finite).
By definition, if the limit exists, it is unique. You may prove this for yourself.

For example, the sequence {-1, 1, -1, 1, -1, 1, ...} has two converging subsequences {1, 1, 1, 1, ...} and {-1, -1, -1, -1, ...} (actually, there are infinitely many, as long as it ends in just 1's or just -1's) which converge to 1 and -1 respectively. The sequence itself has no limit though.

there is a theorem i guess, which states that if {an} converges then every subsequence of it converges and that to the same nr as {an}. Hence if we can find at least two subsequences of a sequence {an} that converge do different nrs, that is have different limits, then the sequence {an} does not converge!

Specifically, you can do this: suppose the subsequence of {an} has subsequence {an}i which converges to P and subsequence {an}j which converges to Q.

Assume that {an} converges to L, and take [itex]\epsilon[/itex]= (1/2)|P- Q|. For any N, there will be n1> N such that an1, in the first subsequence, is arbitratily close to P and n2> N such that an2, in the second subsequence is arbitrarily close to Q. If they are not within [itex]2\epsilon[/itex] of each other, they cannot both be within [itex]\epsilon[/itex] of L, a contradiction.

Hello everyone,

I have tried to write a proof based on HallsofIvy's response, posted below. However, I am not able to derive a contradiction from what I have at the moment.

Could someone please assist me with the conclusion of this proof?

Thank you very much.

Attempt:

[PLAIN]http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/7317/ps24proof.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
vertciel said:
Hello everyone,

I have tried to write a proof based on HallsofIvy's response, posted below. However, I am not able to derive a contradiction from what I have at the moment.

Could someone please assist me with the conclusion of this proof?

Thank you very much.

Attempt:

[PLAIN]http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/7317/ps24proof.jpg[/QUOTE]

I was wondering how when you choose the max of the two, how you just add the two parts of the sub sequences?

Last edited by a moderator:
Suppose [tex]\lim a_n=L[/tex]. Let [tex]a_{n_i}[/tex] be an arbitrary subsequence. We wish to prove that [tex]\lim a_{n_i}=L[/tex].

We know that [tex]\forall \epsilon>0[/tex] [tex] \exists N[/tex] such that [tex]n\geq N[/tex] implies [tex]|a_n-L|<\epsilon[/tex].

We need to show that [tex]\forall \epsilon>0[/tex] [tex] \exists I[/tex] such that [tex]i\geq I[/tex] implies [tex]|a_{n_i}-L|<\epsilon[/tex]. But if we choose [tex]I[/tex] such that [tex]i\geq I[/tex] implies that [tex]n_i\geq N[/tex], then [tex]i\geq I[/tex] implies [tex]|a_{n_i}-L|<\epsilon[/tex]. The existence of such an [tex]I[/tex] is guaranteed by the definition of a subsequence (something to check).

So what this proof says is that if a sequence is convergent, then all it's subsequences converge to the same limit. Now take the contra-positive of this statement and compare it with your question.

I hope that helped.

[edit] Just noticed the date of the OP's post... oh well.

What are subsequences and how are they related to limits?

Subsequences are a sequence of elements from a larger sequence, where the elements are chosen in a specific order. They are related to limits because they can help determine the behavior of a sequence as the number of terms increases.

What are the different types of limits of subsequences?

The two types of limits of subsequences are the limit inferior and limit superior. The limit inferior is the smallest number that the subsequence approaches as the number of terms increases, while the limit superior is the largest number that the subsequence approaches.

How do you determine the limit of a subsequence?

To determine the limit of a subsequence, you can either use the definition of limit, which involves taking the limit of the terms in the subsequence as the number of terms increases, or you can use the Monotone Convergence Theorem, which states that if a subsequence is monotone and bounded, then it must converge to a limit.

What is the significance of understanding the limits of subsequences?

Understanding the limits of subsequences is important in various areas of mathematics, such as calculus, analysis, and number theory. It allows us to better understand the behavior and properties of sequences, which can then be applied to solve more complex problems.

What are some common misconceptions about limits of subsequences?

One common misconception is that the limit of a subsequence must be the same as the limit of the original sequence. However, this is not always true, as a subsequence can approach a different limit than the original sequence. Another misconception is that if a subsequence is convergent, then the original sequence must also be convergent, which is also not always the case.