Does BE condensate release or abort energies?

In summary: So let's say that the walls are frictionless. So you can't heat the system by compressing it. In summary, the energy released or absorbed during the condensation of a system of particles depends on the type of particles and the energy required to condense them. In some cases, such as with noninteracting bosons, the energy is released as the ground state becomes fully occupied. However, in other cases, energy may be required to confine the particles, but this does not heat the system as long as the walls are frictionless.
garyfang
When a system of particles condensates, are energy released or aborted?
Is energy required to condensate a bunch of particles? In one example, if you were to shrink the volume these particles should occupy by exerting pressure to the container, energy is required. Where do these energies go when materials become condensated?

Physics news on Phys.org
To create a Bose-Einstein condensate, you have to cool the material - the energy goes into photons (laser cooling), hot evaporating atoms (evaporative cooling), potential energy or other things.
I don't think I get the main question of your post.

garyfang said:
When a system of particles condensates, are energy released or aborted?
Is energy required to condensate a bunch of particles? In one example, if you were to shrink the volume these particles should occupy by exerting pressure to the container, energy is required. Where do these energies go when materials become condensated?

I think you are asking about condensing a system of particles. I think the conservation of energy rule gives you your answer: The initial energy of the system of particles, plus the energy you put into the system of particles by condensing it, will result in the final (larger) energy of the system compared to its initial energy.

Jake

jaketodd said:
I think you are asking about condensing a system of particles. I think the conservation of energy rule gives you your answer: The initial energy of the system of particles, plus the energy you put into the system of particles by condensing it, will result in the final (larger) energy of the system compared to its initial energy.

Jake

You do not put energy into the system by condensing it.
Consider a system of noninteracting bosons. The condensation means that the ground state becomes macroscopically occupied. In the limit of full condensation, the ground state is fully occupied. As this is also the lowest energy state of the whole system, energy is released during condensation.

DrDu said:
You do not put energy into the system by condensing it.
Consider a system of noninteracting bosons. The condensation means that the ground state becomes macroscopically occupied. In the limit of full condensation, the ground state is fully occupied. As this is also the lowest energy state of the whole system, energy is released during condensation.

You're probably right, but I was thinking of the energy you put into confining the particles would add kinetic energy as the walls close in, so to speak.

1. What is BE condensate?

BE condensate, or Bose-Einstein condensate, is a state of matter that occurs at extremely low temperatures where a large number of particles, typically atoms, occupy the same quantum state.

2. How is energy released from BE condensate?

Energy is released from BE condensate when the particles lose energy and transition out of the condensed state. This can happen through interactions with other particles or through external stimuli such as light or heat.

3. Can BE condensate release unlimited amounts of energy?

No, BE condensate has a finite amount of energy that can be released. Once all the particles have transitioned out of the condensed state, no more energy can be released.

4. Is the energy release from BE condensate spontaneous or controlled?

The energy release from BE condensate can be both spontaneous and controlled. It can occur naturally through interactions between particles, but it can also be controlled through external stimuli such as lasers or magnetic fields.

5. Can BE condensate abort energy release?

Yes, the energy release from BE condensate can be aborted if the particles are prevented from transitioning out of the condensed state. This can be achieved by lowering the temperature or using other methods to maintain the particles in the condensed state.