The Solution Sets for linear equations in three variables

In summary, the equation has an infinite solution and the author is still trying to figure out how to solve it.
takercena

Homework Statement

This is from Further Pure Mathematics by L. Bonstock S. Chandler and C. Rourke (question 11 pg 113). The question is find the set of points which are mapped to the point (1, -1, -1) by the transformation
[tex]
\left(
\begin{array}{ccc}
1 & -2 & 4 \\
3 & 4 & 6 \\
1 & 3 & 1 \\
\end{array}
\right)

\right.

\left(
\begin{array}{c}
x \\
y \\
z \\
\end{array}
\right)

=

\right.

\left(
\begin{array}{c}
X \\
Y \\
Z \\
\end{array}
\right)

[/tex]

2. The attempt at a solution
I found that the equation have infinite solution since the matrix will give 0 in column 1 by using reduction method. And that's the problem because I still don't understand how to solve the infinite solution problem. I try to compare from the example from this book,

x - y + z = 4
2x + y - 2z = 1
5x - 2y + z = 13

eq 1 and eq 2 give z = 3x - 5
eq 2 and eq 3 also give z = 3x - 5

and by substitution into the first equation
z = (1/4)(3y + 7)
Hence 3x - 5 = (3y + 7)/4 = z

Still, no success.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi takercena!

Nicely set-out problem … :smile:

I assume you've got to 5y = 3z - 2.

Now eliminate z from (say) the second line.

That gives you another equation for y. :smile:

Well you should post the reduced row echelon form of the matrix then we can help you more explicitly. As it is, all I can tell you is to first reduce it to the RREF form, then let one of the variables x,y,z be a parameter and try to express the rest in terms of that.

Well you should post the reduced row echelon form of the matrix then we can help you more explicitly. As it is, all I can tell you is to first reduce it to the RREF form, then let one of the variables x,y,z be a parameter and try to express the rest in terms of that.
[tex]
\left(
\begin{array}{ccc}
0 & -5 & 3 \\
3 & 14 & 0 \\
0 & 5 & -3 \\
\end{array}
\left|
\begin{array}{c}
2 & -5 & -2 \\
\end{array}
\right)
[/tex]

By the way, I already get it. The answer is y/3 = (z-2)/3 = (x+(5/3))/-14. Thanks both of you

Last edited:

1. What is a solution set for linear equations in three variables?

A solution set for linear equations in three variables is the set of values for each variable that satisfies all of the equations in the system. This means that when the values of the variables are substituted into each equation, the resulting expressions will be equal.

2. How many solutions can a system of linear equations in three variables have?

A system of linear equations in three variables can have one solution, no solutions, or infinitely many solutions. The number of solutions depends on the number of equations and the relationships between them.

3. How can I find the solution set for a system of linear equations in three variables?

To find the solution set for a system of linear equations in three variables, you can use the elimination method, substitution method, or graphing method. These methods involve manipulating the equations to eliminate variables and solve for the remaining variables.

4. Can a system of linear equations in three variables have more than one solution?

Yes, a system of linear equations in three variables can have more than one solution. This occurs when the equations are not independent, meaning that one equation can be written in terms of the others. In this case, there are infinitely many solutions that satisfy the system of equations.

5. How can I check if a set of values is a solution to a system of linear equations in three variables?

To check if a set of values is a solution to a system of linear equations in three variables, you can substitute the values into each equation and see if the resulting expressions are equal. If they are equal, then the set of values is a solution to the system.