How to load a non-rectangular array into MATLAB?

In summary, to create a non-rectangular array in MATLAB, you can use the cell array data type and create it using curly braces or the cell() function. To load a non-rectangular array from a file into MATLAB, you can use the load() function with the '-mat' option or the importdata() function. Accessing individual elements in a non-rectangular array can be done using curly braces. To convert a non-rectangular array to a regular array, you can use the cell2mat() function. MATLAB also has several functions designed for working with non-rectangular arrays, such as cellfun(), cellstr(), and the table data type.
czechman45
We have a sensor in the lab that measures two quantities and uses two different sampling rates. All four of these vectors are saved into the same text file. How can I load this into MATLAB when it is non-rectangular?

Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
http://www.mathworks.com/help/techdoc/import_export/f5-35378.html#br2vfb5

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do I create a non-rectangular array in MATLAB?

To create a non-rectangular array in MATLAB, you can use the cell array data type. This type of array allows you to store elements of different sizes and shapes in the same array. You can create a cell array using the curly braces, {}, notation or by using the cell() function.

2. How do I load a non-rectangular array from a file into MATLAB?

To load a non-rectangular array from a file into MATLAB, you can use the load() function with the '-mat' option. This will load the array as a structure with each element of the cell array as a field in the structure. You can also use the importdata() function, which will automatically detect the format of the data and load it into a cell array.

3. Can I access individual elements in a non-rectangular array in MATLAB?

Yes, you can access individual elements in a non-rectangular array in MATLAB by using the curly braces, {}, notation. For example, if your cell array is named A, you can access the element at the first row and second column by using A{1,2}.

4. How do I convert a non-rectangular array to a regular array in MATLAB?

You can convert a non-rectangular array to a regular array in MATLAB by using the cell2mat() function. This function will convert all the elements in the cell array to a regular array. However, if the elements in the cell array are not of the same size, the conversion will result in an error.

5. Are there any functions in MATLAB specifically designed for working with non-rectangular arrays?

Yes, there are several functions in MATLAB that are designed for working with non-rectangular arrays. Some of these functions include cellfun(), which applies a function to each element in a cell array, and cellstr(), which converts a cell array of character vectors to a string array. Additionally, the table data type in MATLAB is also suitable for working with non-rectangular data.