How to make THIS simple clamp work?

• Thread starter trpastor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary: D2EIn summary, the person is trying to create a quick clamp that is faster and easier than using thumb screws. He is thinking of using a bolt with a notch in it to create the clamp. He is looking for a way to create tension or pressure between the clamp and object to form a tight bond.
trpastor
Hey guys - I have personal project I'm working on. I'm NO engineer, so I apologize for my horrible terminology and ignorance in advance. But I was hoping someone here could help me.

I'm trying to create a quick clamp instead of using thumb screws on something, so make it faster and easier.

currently, in my application, object A slides onto a tube or rod (object C) which is secured to object B.

Traditionally I use thumbscrews to tighten down into the T nuts on object A, and then take them off when I'm done. Not a big deal, but I thought I could make an object that could save me some time

I was thinking instead of bolts, I could take a bolt and put a notch in it (as shown Object D). then I could make a clamp that has a pin in between the sides or frame, that could HOOK onto the notch, and then clamp down. I would have the outside arc of this clamp be further in relation to the pin (or axis) so that it forces it down and wouldn't want to go past the peak tension point of the arc

Basically like Masons jar.

What I'm thinking before I try to make this, is that i need some suspension in it, so that when the clamp is locked down there is tension or pressure between the clamp and object B, to form a tight bond.

Is this true?

are there any other simple ideas that would work to accomplish this task?
thanks!

Attachments

• clamp.jpg
    clamp.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 435
Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you looked into Dzus fasteners? I think that some variation of that might suit your purpose quite well.

It's called a cam lever clamp. Google that term and I think you'll probably find something that suites your needs.

Great! Thank you guys. I think with that keyword I can find an application I can reshape a bit
thanks!

Let us know how it works out. If you don't resolve it, we'll still be here.

Just a FYI: You will find those cam lever clamps are very commonly used on bicycles. Particularly the front and back wheels will have ones that are about 4-6" long, and the seat post clamp will have one that's about 1.5" to 2.5" long.

My advice would be to pass by your local bicycle shop, and ask the guys who do repairs if they have a bin of "Quick Release Skewers"

That's the easiest way to get your hands on some to see if they'll work for you.

Carr-lane has clamps similar to if not exactly like your picture.
http://www.carrlane.com/catalog/index.cfm/27225071F0B221118070C1C512D020609090C0015482013180B041D1E173C3B2853524A5C57

1. How do I adjust the clamp to fit different sizes?

The first step is to loosen the screw or knob that secures the clamp in place. Then, you can adjust the opening of the clamp by sliding the two arms apart or closer together. Once you have the desired size, tighten the screw or knob to secure it in place.

2. What is the best way to secure the clamp onto a surface?

The best way to secure the clamp is to first ensure that the surface is clean and free of debris. Then, position the clamp on the surface and tighten the screw or knob to secure it in place. If necessary, you can also use additional tools such as a hammer or vice grip to hold the clamp in place while you work.

3. Can I use this clamp for heavy duty projects?

It depends on the specific clamp and its weight capacity. Some clamps are designed for lighter tasks, while others are built for heavy duty use. It is important to read the product specifications to determine if the clamp is suitable for your project.

4. How do I release the clamp once I am finished using it?

To release the clamp, simply loosen the screw or knob that secures it in place. Then, slide the clamp off the surface or object it was holding. If the clamp is stuck or difficult to release, try tapping it gently with a hammer or using a lubricant to loosen it.

5. Can I use this clamp for delicate materials?

It depends on the type of clamp and its grip strength. Some clamps may have a rubber coating or adjustable pressure to prevent damage to delicate materials. It is important to read the product specifications and use caution when working with delicate materials to avoid damage.