How to modell Carbon nano-tubes in ABAQUS ?

In summary, a colleague is seeking help with importing xyz coordinates for atoms in carbon nano-tubes into ABAQUS for their research project on building a non-Ferris electro-magnet using nano-tubes for a magnetic field generator. They are also wondering if the nano-tubes will hold a magnetic field.
p.haghdoust
Dear Colleagues
I want to start some research on the Carbon nano - tubes.
In the beginning I need to model a CNT in the ABAQUS.
I wrote a code for generating the xyz Coordinates of the atoms in a CNT.
The problem is that I can not import them in abaqus.
Does anyone has an Idea ?

Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
Dear Colleagues
I'm wanting to start some research with carbon Nano - tubes in building a non-Ferris electro- magnet for a
magnetic field generator but I'm worried that the Nano tubes I would need to start this project will not hold a field any thought's

1. How do I create a carbon nano-tube model in ABAQUS?

To create a carbon nano-tube model in ABAQUS, you can use the built-in beam element or create a custom element using the user subroutine feature. The beam element is the simplest option and can be used for simple models, while the user subroutine allows for more complex and accurate modeling.

2. What material properties do I need to input for a carbon nano-tube model in ABAQUS?

The material properties required for a carbon nano-tube model in ABAQUS include the Young's modulus, Poisson's ratio, and density. These can be obtained from experimental data or from literature sources. Additionally, you may also need to input the thermal expansion coefficient and thermal conductivity for thermal analysis.

3. How do I apply boundary conditions to a carbon nano-tube model in ABAQUS?

Boundary conditions can be applied to a carbon nano-tube model in ABAQUS using the built-in boundary conditions options, such as fixed, prescribed displacement, or load. These can be applied to specific nodes or elements using the ABAQUS graphical user interface or through input files.

4. Can I model the interface between the carbon nano-tube and surrounding materials in ABAQUS?

Yes, ABAQUS has the capability to model the interface between the carbon nano-tube and surrounding materials using the cohesive element feature. This allows for accurate modeling of the interaction between the nano-tube and its surrounding environment.

5. How do I validate my carbon nano-tube model in ABAQUS?

To validate your carbon nano-tube model in ABAQUS, you can compare the results from your simulation with experimental or theoretical data. Additionally, you can perform sensitivity analysis by varying input parameters to ensure that your model is capturing the behavior of the nano-tube accurately.