Undergraduate in a Canadian University

In summary: However, if you find yourself struggling and not enjoying the classes, don't force yourself to complete a minor just for the sake of it. Minors may not hold much weight in the job market and your time and energy may be better spent focusing on your major and gaining relevant experience through internships or other opportunities. Ultimately, it's important to do what makes you happy and what will benefit you in the long run.
a.a
I'm currently a first year (Life Science) undergraduate in a Canadian University and I was thinking of trying to complete a minor in math. I kind of like math and it does somewhat interest me; but lately I have become lazy, I feel like I was much more school orientated in high school. I'm am working on that this semester. Anyways, I not that good at math but I am relatively quick at grasping the concepts I've encountered so far (relative to my high school class and SOME of the other first year students I know). I should mention that I didn't go to an amazing high school, but it got me into a good university. I am very prone to silly and just inexcusable mistakes, specially in test and exam situations. There are soo may students much better than me in math and probably much smarter, and what if I end up failing a course, my course load would be too heavy for me to try make it up, and summer school may be difficult as i need to work to pay tuition and loan fees. I'll just end up taking math courses for electives, and increasing my stress levels and work load for no reason. At the same time, a minor might keep more doors open as I am still not too sure where I will be after I get my undergraduate degree. Also I heard that a minor looks good to potential employers.

Can anyone give me some advice?
Thanks in advance, a.a

Physics news on Phys.org

If you enjoy taking math courses, get a math minor. If you don't, don't.

IMHO, minors are worth *very* little in the job market... perhaps they have some value before you have any experience, but once you've worked for a year or two, no one will care.

This doesn't mean you won't learn interesting or valuable things in the courses, of course. Just that wrapping them in a bow and calling them a minor is kind of worthless.

Take a few math classes and if it's something you enjoy, take the classes for their own sake and the minor will just be a bonus.

Related to Undergraduate in a Canadian University

1. What are the requirements for admission to an undergraduate program in a Canadian university?

The specific requirements for admission to an undergraduate program in a Canadian university may vary depending on the institution. However, generally, students are required to have completed their high school education and meet the minimum grade requirements for their desired program. Some programs may also have additional requirements such as standardized test scores or prerequisite courses.

2. How long does it take to complete an undergraduate program in a Canadian university?

The length of an undergraduate program in a Canadian university typically ranges from 3 to 4 years. However, some programs, such as engineering or architecture, may take longer to complete due to the practical components of the curriculum.

3. Are there any scholarships or financial aid available for international students pursuing an undergraduate degree in a Canadian university?

Yes, there are a variety of scholarships and financial aid options available for international students studying in Canadian universities. These may include merit-based scholarships, need-based scholarships, and bursaries. It is important to research and apply for these opportunities early on to increase your chances of receiving funding.

4. Can international students work while studying in an undergraduate program at a Canadian university?

Yes, international students are allowed to work part-time while studying in a Canadian university. However, there are certain restrictions and limitations, such as the number of hours you can work per week. It is important to check with your university and the government regulations to ensure you are following the rules.

5. What are the benefits of studying in a Canadian university for an undergraduate degree?

There are several benefits to studying in a Canadian university for an undergraduate degree, including high-quality education, a diverse and multicultural environment, opportunities for co-op and internships, and potential pathways to permanent residency. Additionally, Canadian universities are recognized globally, making it easier for graduates to pursue further education or job opportunities in other countries.