Qualitative Electronics Books?

In summary, a book that would explain electronics in laymans terms and then provide equations would be beneficial for someone like the author.
IssacBinary
Ive bought a few electronics books but they all seem to have the same thing in common. They are full of equations (not a bad thing) but very little explanation, and the explanation they do have is almost like the equation in words.

Im trying to find a book that would explain what is actually happening in laymans terms / qualitatively and THEN go into the equations matching things up.

For example:

With a circuit that has an AC source and a resister and capacitor. The big picture (I was told I am right) is that as the source increases the capacitor charges up, when the source starts going down, because of the voltage drop across the resistor meaning the capacitor isn't charged to the peak of the source means even though the source is going down its still charging the capacitor, then once the source is less that the capacitor the capacitor starts to discharge.

So the "total" or "resultant" voltage in the circuit is a combination of the capacitor and source voltage acting together.

Kind of like a net force, if you push a ball left with 10N and right with 8N it will go left with the force of 2N.

When I asked if I was right my lecturer said "Putting it that way you are right, from a physics point of view, I see where you are coming from".

And its these kind of explanations that, for me anyway, seem to be lacking in the books. Its ok when you know what's going on and just need the equations but if you don't know what exactly is happening your just going on blind faith.

Another kind of example is in the beginning on "An Elementary Treatise on Electricity", Its written in a way that a layman kind relate to and understand but then it goes into the equations...

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hughes "Electrical Technology" sounds like what you want.

Google will find you a free download or a pdf or you can order a paper copy. Older editions will do just as well for the basics.

Also look out for this book by Hughes and Morely

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0582228743/?tag=pfamazon01-20

go well

Thanks for the info Studiot, ill check them out and hopefully they will do the trick. I don't like PDFs I always love to buy my books 1) because its easier to read and 2) to make a nice library. But which this type of stuff I do usually have to check out the pdf to see if its worth it. :/

Most of the books that do layman / explanations tend to be "this is a light bulb" "a switch" "this is how a motor works"...but I am looking for something that has laymans with say RLC circuits and OPAmps.

Would those 2 ever meet? (Laymans with higher level electronics and maths)?!

Well I am about to find out I guess with these 2 books.

Thanks.

(and keep them coming ;) haha)

Just googled "electronics cookbooks" and found:
http://www.eskimo.com/~billb/amateur/elehob.html
which might lead you to more.

There used to be, back in the dark ages, books like "The {Active Filter, Op Amp} Cookbook" which provided a bunch of schematics and some theory of operation so one could just start hacking away. Maybe they still exist. Or else it's all done with Arduinos now...

1. What is the difference between qualitative and quantitative electronics books?

Qualitative electronics books primarily focus on understanding the underlying principles and concepts of electronics, while quantitative electronics books focus on using mathematical equations and calculations to solve problems.

2. What topics are typically covered in qualitative electronics books?

Qualitative electronics books often cover topics such as circuit analysis, electronic components, digital logic, and signal processing. They may also delve into areas such as electromagnetism, semiconductor physics, and electronic circuit design.

3. How can qualitative electronics books benefit someone interested in electronics?

Qualitative electronics books can provide a strong foundation of understanding and conceptual knowledge, which can then be applied to practical applications in the field of electronics. They can also help individuals develop critical thinking skills and problem-solving abilities.

4. Are there any recommended qualitative electronics books for beginners?

Some popular qualitative electronics books for beginners include "Practical Electronics for Inventors" by Paul Scherz and Simon Monk, "Getting Started in Electronics" by Forrest M. Mims III, and "The Art of Electronics" by Paul Horowitz and Winfield Hill.

5. Can qualitative electronics books be used as a reference for professionals?

Yes, qualitative electronics books can be a valuable reference for professionals in the field of electronics. They can provide a deeper understanding of fundamental concepts and principles, which can aid in solving complex problems and developing new technologies.