I need some help with an electricity problem

In summary, the conversation is about a person struggling with a physics problem involving a charged insulator hanging from a wire. They have tried using trigonometry and Newton's second law, but their answers are not matching the correct answers. They mention that the electric force may increase as the ball swings closer to the charge and plan to ask for help in class the next day.
benji
So I thought I understood this electricity stuff pretty well--I've read through the chapter once in full and skimmed over it a couple times. I've studied all the examples and still my problems aren't coming out correct. Here is one problem in particular that is giving me a lot of trouble:

A small sperical insulator of mass 8.00X10^-2 kg and charge +0.600 mC is hung by a thin wire of negligible mass. A charge of -0.900 mC is held 0.150 m away from the spere and directly to the right of it, so the wire makes an angle [theta] with the vertical. Find (a) the angle [theta] and (b) the tension in the wire.

What I did with this problem is draw a free-body diagram for the forces that act upon the sphere attatched to the string. I found the force of gravity by simply using F=mg, so I have the left side of the right triangle. Then I solved for the electrical force between the two spheres by using F=(k*q1*q2)/(r^2). That gives me the bottom of the right triangle. So shouldn't I just be able to use simple trig to find the hypotenuse of the triangle, thus finding tension on the string? I did this and my answer came out to be 0.615 N--the correct answer is 0.813 N. Where did I go wrong? I've checked and re-checked my math and I still can't figure out why. So that was part (b), for part (a) of the problem I just used trig--inverse tangent multiplied by the bottom side of the trianle over the tension. For this answer I'm WAY off--I get -2.3X10^-21 degrees when the correct answer is 15.4 degrees.

So I know I wrote a little novel here, but I could really use the help!

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know if this is the problem, but did you keep in mind that the electrical force will increase as the ball swings closer to the charge?

Have you tried using Newton's second law for the horizontal and vertical components of force on the sphere?

[tex]\Sigma F_x = ma_x [/tex]

[tex]\Sigma F_y = ma_y[/tex]

its hard to tell what went wrong because we can't see your equations, post any work you've done so far

Last edited:
I think I'll just ask about this one tomorrow in class, thanks anyways though. I should have just scanned my paper ;) .

What is electricity?

Electricity is a form of energy that is created by the flow of electrons. It is used to power various devices and machines.

What are the different types of electricity?

There are two main types of electricity: direct current (DC) and alternating current (AC). DC flows in one direction, while AC constantly changes direction.

How do I solve an electricity problem?

The first step in solving an electricity problem is to identify the issue. Then, use Ohm's law (V=IR) to calculate the voltage, current, and resistance. Finally, troubleshoot the problem using a multimeter or by checking connections.

What are some common electricity problems?

Some common electricity problems include power outages, overloaded circuits, faulty wiring, and damaged appliances. These issues can cause electrical shocks, fires, and other hazards.

Why is it important to understand electricity?

Understanding electricity is important for both safety and functionality. It allows us to use electricity safely and efficiently, as well as troubleshoot and solve problems that may arise.