Angular Oscillator Feasibility: Masses & Curvature

In summary, the conversation discusses the feasibility of an oscillator involving a rotating vessel with a curved surface and two heavy balls. The potential of each sphere depends on its distance from the center, making it a central potential problem. The inner curvature of the surface can be either parabolic or elliptical, affecting the oscillating motion of the masses. Rolling inertia is negligible for small oscillations, but becomes more complex for larger movements. The equations involve the mass of the ball as the mass on the spring and the spring constant is determined by the curvature of the surface.
SgrA*
Hi,

I'm considering this set up: A vessel with a curved (parabolic?) inner surface is rotating at an angular speed ω. Two heavy balls are placed near the axis of rotation of the vessel. Due to centrifugal force, the balls move outwards towards the edge. This increases the moment of inertia, and the angular speed decreases. This reduces the centrifugal force, and the heavy balls on the curved surface move back down towards the center. The moment of inertia decreases again as the masses move closer to the axis of rotation.

Is such an oscillator feasible? If yes, how would I calculate the curvature and masses of the balls?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is the cool thing about this problem. The potential of each sphere depends only on deflection. In other words, distance from center. So what you have is a central potential problem. You can forget about the tube and simply have a curved surface on which spheres are free to move. Of course, that neglects rolling inertia, but let's treat the masses as point objects for starters.

In central potential, angular momentum is conserved. Same as with your constrained problem. So you don't need to restrict angular motion to get the same trajectory. If the inner curvature is parabolic, potential is r². That's harmonic potential. That means each mass will oscillate as if attached to center by a spring. If surface is elliptical, for small deflections it's still going to work like a spring. Same as pendulum. For large deflections you'll start noticing a difference.

Back to rolling. Again, for small oscillations, it won't matter. The masses will simply act as if they are heavier, but otherwise, have the same oscillating motion. If there is a lot of movement, then it will matter whether spheres roll in a rotating tube or on a curved surface. But again, problem becomes much more complicated to solve.

Likes 1 person
Hi,

Thanks for the reply and sorry, took me long to follow up. I have been trying it, and in the equations, the mass of the ball would directly be the mass on the spring, correct? What would the spring constant be? I know it has something to do with the curvature of the surface, but I'm not sure what to plug in.

Thanks!

The potential energy of the spring is (1/2)kx². Potential energy of the mass in gravitational field is mgh. So a bowl who's shape is h = (1/2)cr² would correspond to a spring constant k = cm.

Likes 1 person

I would like to first commend you on your creative thinking and curiosity in exploring the feasibility of this angular oscillator setup. I can see that you have a good understanding of the physical principles involved in this system and have identified the key factors that will affect its behavior.

To determine the feasibility of this setup, we would need to consider several factors such as the strength and stability of the vessel, the behavior of the balls as they move towards the edge and back to the center, and the overall energy efficiency of the system. Additionally, we would need to take into account the effects of friction and air resistance on the movement of the balls.

In terms of calculating the curvature and masses of the balls, we would need to use mathematical equations and principles from mechanics and dynamics to model the behavior of the system. This would involve considering the forces acting on the balls, their initial positions and velocities, and the properties of the vessel (such as its shape and material). It may also be helpful to conduct experiments to test the behavior of the system and validate our calculations.

Overall, while this angular oscillator setup may be theoretically feasible, it would require careful consideration and calculations to ensure its practicality and effectiveness. I would recommend conducting further research and experimentation before implementing this system.

1. What is an angular oscillator?

An angular oscillator is a system that undergoes periodic oscillations or vibrations around an equilibrium point due to the presence of angular momentum. This type of oscillator is commonly found in physical systems such as pendulums, rotating objects, and molecular vibrations.

2. How is the feasibility of an angular oscillator determined?

The feasibility of an angular oscillator is determined by analyzing the masses and curvatures within the system. The masses of the objects involved and their distribution play a crucial role in the stability and energy of the oscillator. The curvature of the system also affects the oscillations by influencing the strength of the restoring force.

3. What factors affect the feasibility of an angular oscillator?

Aside from the masses and curvatures, other factors that can affect the feasibility of an angular oscillator include the initial conditions of the system, external forces and perturbations, and the presence of damping forces. These factors can alter the energy and stability of the oscillator, potentially affecting its feasibility.

4. How are masses and curvatures related in an angular oscillator?

The masses and curvatures in an angular oscillator are closely related as they both affect the strength of the restoring force. The distribution of masses and the curvature of the system determine the strength and direction of the force that keeps the oscillator in motion. Therefore, a change in one of these factors can affect the other and ultimately impact the feasibility of the oscillator.

5. What is the significance of studying the feasibility of angular oscillators?

The study of the feasibility of angular oscillators has implications in various fields, including physics, engineering, and biology. It helps us understand the behavior of physical systems and can be used to design stable and efficient mechanical and electronic systems. In biology, angular oscillators play a role in the functioning of biological systems such as the heartbeat and molecular movements.