Really Easy Group Calculations which i cant do

In summary, the conversation was about proving that ab=ba given certain conditions. The person asking for help mentioned trying to multiply by a2 and a-2 with no success. They also mentioned that a has order 5 which means a5=1. Another person suggested using a series of equations to prove it, with the final result being ab=ba. Overall, the conversation revolved around finding a solution to the problem at hand.
SNOOTCHIEBOOCHEE

Homework Statement

let a,b[tex]\in[/tex]G Assume that a has order 5 and that [tex]a^{3}b=ba^{3}[/tex]

Prove that ab=ba

The Attempt at a Solution

I know there is some magical thing you can multiply by that will make things nice... i just can't figure this out.

if tried left and right multiplying by a2 and a-2 with no prevail.

Physics news on Phys.org
SNOOTCHIEBOOCHEE said:

Homework Statement

let a,b[tex]\in[/tex]G Assume that a has order 5 and that [tex]a^{3}b=ba^{3}[/tex]

Prove that ab=ba

The Attempt at a Solution

I know there is some magical thing you can multiply by that will make things nice... i just can't figure this out.

if tried left and right multiplying by a2 and a-2 with no prevail.

Some questions to help you get going here.
What does it mean that a has order 5?
Why did you pick a2 to multiply by?
What did you get when you multiplied by a2?

One other thing: at some point you'll want to use the fact that a3b = ba3.

a has order 5 means that a5=1

when i multiply by a2 i get b=a2ba3

If you multiplied on the other side you must have gotten b=a^3ba^2 as well. So that's a^3ba^2=a^2ba^3. Now what? Can't you see an 'ab=ba' in there somewhere?

its not fair dick is too good at math.Thanks.. feel free to lock

Dick practiced a lot. The rest of us are trying to catch up.

Well, I find it is often possible to prove it by a series of equation as ab=...=...=ba, which is clear and forthright.
e.g. ab=aeb=aa^5b= a^3(a^3b)=a^3(ba^3)=(a^3b)a^3=(ba^3)a^3=baa^5=bae=ba
But it may still need magics to prove more challenging problem...

FAQ: Really Easy Group Calculations which i cant do

1. What are some examples of Really Easy Group Calculations?

Some examples of Really Easy Group Calculations include finding the mean, median, and mode of a set of numbers, calculating percentages, and finding the sum or product of a group of numbers.

2. How do I approach a Really Easy Group Calculation?

The best approach for a Really Easy Group Calculation is to first identify the type of calculation needed (e.g. average, percentage, etc.), then gather all the necessary numbers and organize them in a clear and logical way. Finally, use a calculator or manual math skills to perform the calculation.

3. Can I use a calculator for Really Easy Group Calculations?

Yes, a calculator can be a helpful tool for performing Really Easy Group Calculations. Just be sure to double check your inputs and the results to ensure accuracy.

4. What if I am not good at math? Can I still do Really Easy Group Calculations?

Yes, Really Easy Group Calculations are designed to be simple and straightforward, so they can be done by anyone with basic math skills. If you are struggling, try breaking down the calculation into smaller steps and take your time to ensure accuracy.

5. Are there any common mistakes to watch out for when doing Really Easy Group Calculations?

Some common mistakes to watch out for when doing Really Easy Group Calculations include forgetting to include all the necessary numbers, mixing up the order of operations, and not carefully checking the final result for accuracy. It's always a good idea to double check your work and ask for help if needed.