Solving a Group theory problem using Cayley diagrams

In summary, if G is a group and a,b belongs to G and O(a) = e , b.a =a.b^2 then find O(b) . However, this problem may be easier to solve using Cayley diagrams.
patric44
Homework Statement
if G is a group and a,b belongs to G and O(a) = e , b.a =a.b^2 then find O(b) ?
Relevant Equations
b.a = a.b^2
hi guys
i saw this problem : if G is a group and a,b belongs to G and O(a) = e , b.a =a.b^2 then find O(b) , but i want to tackle this problem using Cayley diagrams , so my attempt is as following :
$$ba =ab^{2}$$
then i might assume b as flipping , a as rotation :
$$ fr = rf^{2}$$
then knowing that ##r^{5} = e ## i suspect that the symmetry might be associated with a pentagon , but then i am stick here because i can't figure out the other substructure associated with this ##f^{n}## flipping .

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
patric44 said:
Homework Statement:: if G is a group and a,b belongs to G and O(a) = e , b.a =a.b^2 then find O(b) ?
What do O(a) and O(b) mean? I looked in my Abstract Algebra (Fraleigh) textbook, and wasn't able to find this notation. I'm tempted to think it means "order" but that doesn't seem to fit what you wrote.
patric44 said:
then knowing that ##r^5=e##
How do you know this. You don't show it as given information.

Mark44 said:
What do O(a) and O(b) mean? I looked in my Abstract Algebra (Fraleigh) textbook, and wasn't able to find this notation. I'm tempted to think it means "order" but that doesn't seem to fit what you wrote.

How do you know this. You don't show it as given information.
sorry i must have explained it more , in the problem it was given that ##O(a) = 5## so i suspected that a is a generator in which ## a^{5} = e##

patric44 said:
Homework Statement:: if G is a group and a,b belongs to G and O(a) = e , b.a =a.b^2 then find O(b) ?
Relevant Equations:: b.a = a.b^2

hi guys
i saw this problem : if G is a group and a,b belongs to G and O(a) = e , b.a =a.b^2 then find O(b) , but i want to tackle this problem using Cayley diagrams , so my attempt is as following :
ba=ab2
fr=rf2
then knowing that r5=e i suspect that the symmetry might be associated with a pentagon , but then i am stick here because i can't figure out the other substructure associated with this fn flipping .
If your thought about looking at this problem as symmetries of a pentagon (which may or may not be the way to go), it might be helpful to look at the rotations and flips in terms of permutations of the vertices of the pentagon, with the vertices of the pentagon labelled as 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5. For example, here are two rotation permutations:
##r_0=\begin{pmatrix}1&2&3&4&5 \\ 1& 2 & 3 & 4 &5 \end{pmatrix}##
##r_1=\begin{pmatrix}1&2&3&4&5 \\ 2&3&4&5&1 \end{pmatrix}##
For ##r_0## each vertex is not rotated at all. For##r_1## vertex 1 is rotated to vertex 2, and so on, with each vertex moving to the next higher number.
For ##r_2##, each vertex is rotated by two positions
There are two more rotations.

For the flips, I count five different flips. For each one, one of the vertices is held fixed, and the other four vertices flip across the pentagon to the opposite. Each of the five flips can be represented by a permutation.
For example, ##f_1## holds vertex one constant.
##f_1=\begin{pmatrix}1&2&3&4&5 \\1&5&4&3&2\end{pmatrix}##
The other four flip permutations are similar.
If you make a Cayley diagram, it will need ten rows and ten columns, one row and column for each of the permutations. Possibly the diagram will help you answer the question of this problem, finding ##\mathcal O(b)##

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes patric44
The group [itex]G[/itex] is not [itex]D_{10}[/itex]; if it were, the commutation relation would be [itex]ba = a^{4}b[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex] would be of order 2.

If [itex]b = e[/itex] then [itex]G[/itex] is [itex]Z_5[/itex], generated by [itex]a[/itex]. I assume this is not the solution you're looking for.
If [itex]b^2 = e[/itex] then [itex]ba = a[/itex] and again [itex]b[/itex] is the identity.

So the order of [itex]b[/itex] is at least 3.

• Informative
Likes patric44
patric44 said:
Relevant Equations:: b.a = a.b^2

hi guys
$$ba =ab^{2}$$
$$ fr = rf^{2}$$
then knowing that ##r^{5} = e ## i suspect that the symmetry might be associated with a pentagon , but then i am stick here because i can't figure out the other substructure associated with this ##f^{n}## flipping .

I was able to construct [itex]G[/itex] as a semidirect product of the cyclic groups [itex]Z_5[/itex] and [itex]Z_n[/itex] where [itex]n[/itex] is the order of [itex]b[/itex]. From [tex]ba = ab^2[/tex] I was able to obtain the conjugates [tex]
bab^{-1} = ab, \qquad aba^{-1} = a^2 b^2 a^3 = b^{16}[/tex] from which I concluded that [itex]Z_5[/itex] must act on [itex]Z_n[/itex] rather than vice-versa. It follows from this that [itex]Z_5[/itex] is not acting on vertices of a pentagon, but on the group of rotations of an [itex]n[/itex]-gon.

Likes patric44
pasmith said:
I was able to construct [itex]G[/itex] as a semidirect product of the cyclic groups [itex]Z_5[/itex] and [itex]Z_n[/itex] where [itex]n[/itex] is the order of [itex]b[/itex]. From [tex]ba = ab^2[/tex] I was able to obtain the conjugates [tex]
bab^{-1} = ab, \qquad aba^{-1} = a^2 b^2 a^3 = b^{16}[/tex] from which I concluded that [itex]Z_5[/itex] must act on [itex]Z_n[/itex] rather than vice-versa. It follows from this that [itex]Z_5[/itex] is not acting on vertices of a pentagon, but on the group of rotations of an [itex]n[/itex]-gon.
it turned out to more complicated than i thought using Cayley's diagram 🤔 , so i started to do some factorization of conjugate relations and some right - left multiplications it took me a while but i guess i got it right , i got ##O(b) = 31## .

1. What is a Cayley diagram?

A Cayley diagram is a visual representation of a group, which is a mathematical concept that describes the symmetries and transformations of objects. It is used to show the structure and relationships within a group, and can be helpful in solving group theory problems.

2. How do you solve a group theory problem using Cayley diagrams?

To solve a group theory problem using Cayley diagrams, you first need to understand the structure of the group and its elements. Then, you can use the diagram to visually represent the group's operations and relationships between its elements. By following the arrows in the diagram and applying the group's operation rules, you can solve the problem.

3. What are the benefits of using Cayley diagrams in group theory?

Cayley diagrams provide a visual representation of a group, which can make it easier to understand and work with. They also allow for a more intuitive approach to solving group theory problems, as you can see the relationships between elements and operations. Additionally, Cayley diagrams can help identify patterns and symmetries within a group, which can aid in solving more complex problems.

4. Are there any limitations to using Cayley diagrams in group theory?

While Cayley diagrams can be a useful tool in solving group theory problems, they do have some limitations. They are only applicable to finite groups, meaning groups with a finite number of elements. Additionally, the diagram may become too complex and difficult to interpret for larger groups with many elements.

5. Can Cayley diagrams be used for any type of group?

Yes, Cayley diagrams can be used for any type of group, including cyclic, dihedral, and symmetric groups. They can also be used for more complex groups, such as matrix groups and permutation groups. However, as mentioned before, they are only applicable to finite groups.