Electrical work in a piston-cylinder filled with refrigerant

In summary, the refrigerant is converted to a saturated vapor in 135 minutes, and the final temperature is -5 °C.
JJBladester
Gold Member

Homework Statement

0.8kg of saturated liquid R-134a with an initial temperature of -5 °C is contained in a well-insulated, weighted piston-cylinder device. This device contains an electrical resistor to which 10 volts are applied causing a current of 2 amperes to flow through the resistor. Determine the time required for the refrigerant to be converted to a saturated vapor, and the final temperature.

Homework Equations

Assumption: The system is at constant pressure throughout the process since both the atmospheric pressure and the weight of the piston remain constant throughout.

[tex]Q_{in}+W_{e,in}-W_{b}=\Delta U+\Delta KE+ \Delta PE[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]Q_{in}=\Delta KE= \Delta PE=0[/tex]

[tex]W_{e,in}=\Delta U+W_{b}=\Delta H[/tex]

[tex]VI\Delta t=m(h_{2}-h_{1})[/tex]

[tex]\Delta t=\frac{m(h_2-h_1)}{VI}[/tex]

State 1
P1=Psat @ -5 °C = 243.5kPa
Saturated Liquid
Thus, h1=hf @ 243.5kPa = 45.143 kJ/kg

State 2
P2=P1=243.5kPa
Saturated Vapor
Thus, h2=hg @ 243.5kPa = 247.49 kJ/kg

T2 = Tsat @ 243.5 kPA = -5 °C

Rearranging the energy balance equation for t yields 135 minutes for the time it takes to change the saturated liquid refrigerant into saturated vapor state.

I am having doubts about my calculation for T2. It seems like the temperature would increase as that is the nature of a resistance heater. Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
I don't think your steam tables consider the circumstances that the problem gives you, the temperature would probably increase slightly (I'm just a student, not nearly as good as other people on this forum).

However, looking through my steam tables, I found that hf @ 243.3kPa = 193.32kJ/kg.

Same with hg, I found that hg @ 243.3kPa = 395.49kJ/kg.

TaxOnFear said:
Hi,
I don't think your steam tables consider the circumstances that the problem gives you, the temperature would probably increase slightly (I'm just a student, not nearly as good as other people on this forum).

However, looking through my steam tables, I found that hf @ 243.3kPa = 193.32kJ/kg.

Same with hg, I found that hg @ 243.3kPa = 395.49kJ/kg.

Hey there TaxOnFear. The problem deals with refrigerant R-134a, not water, so the h values I posted should be correct.

Perhaps the temperature does stay the same from state 1 to state 2, but the energy that the resistor circuit provides to the system goes into the increasing volume?

1. What is the purpose of electrical work in a piston-cylinder filled with refrigerant?

The purpose of electrical work in a piston-cylinder filled with refrigerant is to provide the energy needed to compress the refrigerant, which in turn increases its temperature and pressure. This allows the refrigerant to absorb heat from the surroundings and cool the space in which it is being used.

2. How does electrical work affect the performance of a refrigeration system?

Electrical work is crucial for the performance of a refrigeration system. It is responsible for powering the compressor, which is the key component that circulates and compresses the refrigerant. Without electrical work, the refrigerant would not be able to absorb heat and the system would not be able to cool the desired space effectively.

3. Can electrical work be used to control the cooling capacity of a refrigeration system?

Yes, electrical work can be used to control the cooling capacity of a refrigeration system. By adjusting the amount of electrical work supplied to the compressor, the speed at which the refrigerant is compressed can be varied. This, in turn, affects the amount of heat that the refrigerant can absorb and the cooling capacity of the system.

4. Are there any safety precautions to consider when working with electrical components in a refrigeration system?

Absolutely. When working with electrical components in a refrigeration system, it is important to follow all safety protocols and guidelines. This includes turning off the power supply before making any repairs or adjustments, wearing protective gear, and ensuring that all electrical connections and wiring are secure.

5. What factors can affect the electrical work required for a refrigeration system?

Several factors can affect the electrical work required for a refrigeration system. These include the type and size of the compressor, the type and amount of refrigerant being used, the desired temperature and pressure levels, and the overall design and efficiency of the system. Regular maintenance and proper adjustments can also affect the electrical work needed for optimal performance.