Deriving the Distance Between Orthocentre & Circumcentre of a Triangle

In summary: The problem can be summarized as follows:Can anyone explain me a step given in my book?The problem is that there is a step given in the book, but it is not clear how it is derived. The solution is to use the fact that the centroid divides orthocentre and circumcentre in the ratio 2:1.
zorro
The problem
Can anyone explain me a step given in my book?

This is actually the derivation of the distance between orthocentre and circumcentre of a triangle using vectors.

ABC is a triangle.
S is the circumcentre and H is the orthocentre.
[tex]\vec{SA}[/tex] + [tex]\vec{SB}[/tex] + [tex]\vec{SC}[/tex] = [tex]\vec{SA}[/tex] + 2[tex]\vec{SD}[/tex]
=[tex]\vec{SA}[/tex] + [tex]\vec{AH}[/tex]

I just want to find out how 2[tex]\vec{SD}[/tex] = [tex]\vec{AH}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
What is D?

OH! I'm sorry.
D is the midpoint of BC

Thats because AD is a median from A to BC. The circumcenter divides the median into a ratio of 2:1. Thus AH=2SD.
Btw, how did the derivation come to SC+SB=2SD? The way I got that result is that BSC is a triangle that's half of a parallelogram. Since D is the midpoint of BC, its the point of intersection of the diagonals. Which means the other diagonal is of length 2SD. The vector sum of the two sides, thus, must be equal to the diagonal. Is there another way to do this?

Thats because AD is a median from A to BC. The circumcenter divides the median into a ratio of 2:1. Thus AH=2SD.

I don't think that circumcenter divides the median in the ratio 2:1.
It is the centroid which dividies the median in that ratio.

Moreover, H is the orthocentre, and it does not lie on AD.

Btw, how did the derivation come to SC+SB=2SD? The way I got that result is that BSC is a triangle that's half of a parallelogram. Since D is the midpoint of BC, its the point of intersection of the diagonals. Which means the other diagonal is of length 2SD. The vector sum of the two sides, thus, must be equal to the diagonal. Is there another way to do this?

That's right. Maybe there is another method, but this one is the shortest.

I got the answer.
We have to use the fact that the centroid divides orthocentre and circumcentre in the ratio 2:1

The centeroid is the point of intersection of medians. In this case the circumcenter and the median are coincide. The medians are lines from a vertex to the midpoint of the opposite line of a triangle. Since in this case the lines are perpendicular to the other side of the triangle, this point is the circumcenter as well as the centeroid. Thus, it divides the median in a 2:1 ratio.

Abdul Quadeer said:
I got the answer.
We have to use the fact that the centroid divides orthocentre and circumcentre in the ratio 2:1

I may be wrong, but this sounds suspect. In this case, the centeroid and the circumcenter coincide. There can be no line division.

You are wrong. Except in an equliateral triangle, circumcentre and centroid don't coincide.
Here it is just given that D is the midpoint of BC. S is the circumcentre. It is not necessary that SD should coincide with AD ( the median ).

You're right, I made a mistake. Sorry.

Could you post your solution if possible? I've come about it in a very round about manner.

EDIT: Got it.

Last edited:

1. What is the orthocentre of a triangle?

The orthocentre of a triangle is the point where the three altitudes of a triangle intersect. An altitude is a line drawn from a vertex of the triangle to the opposite side, perpendicular to that side.

2. What is the circumcentre of a triangle?

The circumcentre of a triangle is the centre of the circle that passes through all three vertices of the triangle. It is the point where the perpendicular bisectors of the sides of the triangle intersect.

3. How do you derive the distance between the orthocentre and circumcentre of a triangle?

The distance between the orthocentre and circumcentre of a triangle can be derived using the formula: d = R * √(1 - cos A * cos B * cos C), where d is the distance, R is the radius of the circumcircle, and A, B, C are the angles of the triangle.

4. Why is the distance between the orthocentre and circumcentre important?

The distance between the orthocentre and circumcentre of a triangle is important because it is directly related to the shape and properties of the triangle. It can also be used to calculate the radius of the circumcircle and the angles of the triangle.

5. How does the distance between the orthocentre and circumcentre change with different types of triangles?

The distance between the orthocentre and circumcentre can vary depending on the type of triangle. In an equilateral triangle, the distance is equal to the side length of the triangle. In a right triangle, the distance is equal to half the length of the hypotenuse. In an isosceles triangle, the distance is equal to the product of the base and height divided by twice the length of the base.