Air is a real substance for year 8 class

In summary: She said that I summarized the content well, and was not bogged down by responding to students' questions. In summary, the student teacher explained the properties of air.
NDbogan

Homework Statement

So I'm teaching a year 8 (12 year olds) class on air or the properties of air. Does anyone have any ideas of what I should tell them or how to explain these properties in a understandable way?

Homework Equations

In the document that I have been given it says that I must teach these following things:

Explain that air is a real substance that occupies space
Recall that a body of air has measurable weight.
Recall that air exerts considerable pressure on the surface of all things in it.

The Attempt at a Solution

I will be doing a series of experiements to show these things, eg. turning a beaker upside down and push into water, weighing an almost fully inflated basketball then weighing it again after it is fully inflated, a glass filled with water place cardboard over the top and turn it upside down.

They will answer some questions on these experiements and try come up with some general rules explaining what has happened. Then I will go through what they should have seen and why what they saw occured.

I have attached the powerpoint notes that I would like to use but I feel like there should be more I'm telling them but I don't know what.

All help appreciated!

Attachments

• notes yr 8 air.doc
    180 KB · Views: 147
Physics news on Phys.org
Is this a typical grade 8 class, or a remedial course? If the former, I really don't think you have to explain to 12-year-olds that air is a real substance that takes up space. Grade 8 curriculums usually explain the particle theory and use it as a foundation to explain the properties of matter. This includes the 3 phases, phase transitions, and the properties of gases. For example, "pressure is caused by the collision of randomly-moving gas particles onto the container's walls" would be one of the concepts that they need to understand. "Gases are easily compressible because the particles are far apart, so inter-particle interactions are weak" would be another.

I think you should look at the course curriculum to see what they already know, then use it as a foundation to explain the properties of gases.

Thanks, some of them really do find it hard to understand so just related it all back to states of matter and did a number of labs. However some of them were quite prepared for kinetic theory, etc.
As a student teacher, my university supervisor was impressed.

1. What is air made of?

Air is primarily composed of nitrogen (78%) and oxygen (21%), with trace amounts of other gases such as carbon dioxide, water vapor, and argon.

2. Is air a liquid or a gas?

Air is considered a gas because its molecules are not tightly packed together, allowing them to move freely and fill the space they are in.

3. Can we see air?

No, we cannot see air because it is transparent. However, we can see the effects of air, such as the movement of objects or the formation of clouds.

4. Why do we need air to survive?

We need air to survive because it contains oxygen, which is essential for our cells to produce energy through respiration. Without oxygen, our cells would not be able to function properly and we would not be able to survive.

5. What happens when air is heated or cooled?

When air is heated, its molecules gain energy and move faster, causing the air to expand. When air is cooled, its molecules lose energy and move slower, causing the air to contract. This is why hot air rises and cold air sinks.