Max Height and Angle of Cannon in 12 m/s Ball Shot with 24J Kinetic Energy

In summary, a 0.050-kg ball is shot by an upward-slanting cannon at a velocity of 12 m/s. At its maximum height, the kinetic energy of the ball is 24J. To find the maximum height, the equation mgh=1/2mv^2 can be used, and solving for h gives a maximum height of 7.3m. To find the angle of the cannon to the horizontal, the initial velocity components ux=12cos b and uy=12sin b can be used. The horizontal component remains constant, and at the highest point, all the kinetic energy is equal to 0.5*m*vx^2. From this, uy^2 can be found
NewJersey
A .050-kg ball is shot at a velocity of 12 m/s by an upward-slanting cannon. At its maximun height, the kinetic energy of thew ball is 24J.

a) Tha max. height is?
b) the angel of the cannon to the horizontal is?

I really don't know where to start on this question. If someone can give me the equation I should used, I can go from there. I am thinking that I have to work backwards using the kinetic energy.

Physics news on Phys.org
ok, this is what i figured out so far

mgh=1/2mv^2 which m can cancel out gives gh-1/2v^2 which can give me h which is

h= v^2/2g which I can solve for is 12^2/ 2*9.87m/s = 7.3m

is this right?

If b is the angle in radians of the cannon to the horizontal, then the initial velos ux=12cos b,and uy = 12sin b. The horznt comp ux = vx remains const. At the highest pt, all the kinetic energy is just 0.5*m*vx^2, which gives you vx^2.

From that, you can find uy^2, by considering the initial speed.

If initial vert velo is known, you can find the max height, and tan b can be found from uy and ux.

I have perhaps given too much of detail.

ok, i found the max height already, and it was 7.3.

So I think you are saying that using that i can find the angle b , using what equation?

Ok ,
what about this equation
24J= 12cos(degree)

can i set it up like this to find the answer , if so is the answer 66degrees.

NewJersey said:
ok, i found the max height already, and it was 7.3.

So I think you are saying that using that i can find the angle b , using what equation?

That's not correct. (Check the data you have given -- doesn't make sense.)

Did you understand what I had said in my earlier post? If not, tell me which portion you didn't understand. I think you should thoroughly revise projectile motion once before attempting problems.

What is "Max Height"?

"Max Height" refers to the maximum height that an object can reach within a given system or environment. It is often used to describe the vertical limit of an object's movement or the highest point it can reach.

How is "Max Height" calculated?

The calculation of "Max Height" depends on various factors such as the initial velocity of the object, the acceleration due to gravity, and air resistance. It can be calculated using the equation: Max Height = (Initial Velocity)^2 / (2 x Acceleration due to Gravity).

Why is "Max Height" important in science?

Understanding the concept of "Max Height" is important in science as it helps in predicting the behavior of objects in motion and determining their capabilities. It is also crucial in fields such as engineering, physics, and aerodynamics, where precise calculations of an object's maximum height are required.

Can "Max Height" be changed?

Yes, "Max Height" can be changed by altering the factors that affect its calculation. For example, increasing the initial velocity or decreasing the acceleration due to gravity can result in a higher "Max Height". Similarly, reducing air resistance can also affect the maximum height an object can reach.

How can "Max Height" be measured?

"Max Height" can be measured using various methods such as using a measuring tape or ruler to determine the vertical distance reached by the object, using a motion sensor to track its movement, or using mathematical calculations based on the object's initial velocity and acceleration.