Simple Conceptual Question about Forces.

In summary, the conversation discusses the forces present when drawing a free body diagram for a beam leaning against a frictionless wall attached to a pin at the bottom end. It is determined that the wall exerts a rightward horizontal force on the beam, while the pin can exert both horizontal and vertical forces. The concept of friction is also discussed, with the understanding that a frictionless wall would not exert any parallel force on the beam.
wesDOT
I am trying to draw an FBD for a beam leaning against a frictionless wall attached to a pin at the bottom end. The forces present would be the weight, normal force of the pin attached to the floor and the normal force of the wall.

When determining forces that are present, can I remove the object that is exerting the force on my primary object and then anaylze the logical motion that my primary object would follow?

For the case above, if I remove the frictionless wall, the beam would fall down and to the right? Wouldn't that mean there is a force that acts upwards and left? Same with the pin. If I removed the pin and floor, the bottom end of the beam would fall to the right and downwards, which would make me think that the force from the pin acts upwards and to the left.

My reasoning is wrong. So how would I analyze the forces at the pin and the wall?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your reasoning is wrong.

When you are told that the wall is frictionless, that means that there is no force exerted on the body parallel to the wall. Such a force would have to come from friction, and there is none. Therefore, you know the direction of the contact force at the wall.

At the pin, there can be force components in both directions, horiz & vert.

See if this wll get you going.

If the wall is frictionless, can there be a downward force acting on the beam at the wall? If the wall exerts a rightward horizontal force on the beam, what force must balance it for the equilibrium condition?

That makes sense. I knew there was something i was missing. Thanks alot.

1. What is the definition of force?

Force is a push or pull on an object that can cause it to change its motion or shape.

2. What are the different types of forces?

The four main types of forces are gravitational, electromagnetic, strong nuclear, and weak nuclear forces.

3. How do forces affect an object's motion?

Forces can cause an object to accelerate, decelerate, or change direction depending on their magnitude and direction.

4. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is the amount of matter in an object, while weight is the measure of the force of gravity acting on an object.

5. How do forces interact with each other?

Forces can interact with each other through different relationships such as adding, subtracting, or canceling each other out. They can also act on separate objects to cause a change in motion.