Net Ionic Equations for Common Chemical Reactions: Examples and Solutions

• Thread starter ksinclair13
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ionic Net
In summary, the conversation includes the net ionic equations for various reactions, including the addition of potassium amine to distilled water, bubbling sulfur dioxide gas through distilled water, mixing nickel nitrate with sodium sulfide, and combining phosphorous trihydride with boron tricloride. There is also discussion about the possibility of mistakes and the titration curve for an unknown weak monoprotic acid.
ksinclair13
Alright, these were asked on the test I took today, and I was just seeing if I did them correctly.

Write the net ionic equations for the following reactions (don't need to be balanced):

1. Solid potassium amine is added to distilled water.

KNH2 + H2O ---> K+ + NH3 + OH-

2. Sulfur dioxide gas is bubbled through distilled water.

SO2 + H2O ---> H2SO3

3. Nickel nitrate is mixed with sodium sulfide.

Ni+ + S2- ---> Ni2S

4. Phosphorous trihydride is combined with boron tricloride.

PH3 + BCl3 ---> BH3 + PCl3

For the first one, I'm thinking it might be NH4+ on the products side instead of NH3...? I'm not that confident about the second one, and I think I nailed the third one, but maybe not. For the last one, I didn't know if it would be a double replacemnet or if it would form one big molecule...If anyone notices any mistakes, big or small, please point them out =). This is my worst part of chemistry :-(

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ni2+.Borek

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh okay, thank you. So everything else is surprisingly correct then? Or were you just pointing out that one mistake?

Aluminum metal is washed with excess distilled water.

Al + H2O ---> [Al(H2O)6]3+

or would it simply be:

Al + H2O ---> Al(OH)3 + H2

An unknown weak monoprotic acid is titrated using a standard strong base. The titration curve will be as follows:

A. Rapid increase and then no sharp increase
B. Gradual increase and then a sharp increase
C. ...
D. ...
E. ...

The wording is kind of messed up here. Both are sort of correct. There will be a small rapid increase initially, but then there is a sharp increase (not AS sharp as a strong acid-strong base titration, but still sharp) when it nears the equivalence point.

You could also argue that it gradually increases and then there is that sharp increase that I was talking about. However, that sounds more like a strong acid-strong base. Therefore, I guessed A, knowing that either could technically work.

Any more help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
1st probably OK, 2nd OK for sure, no idea about 4th.

Al doesn't react with distilled water, it is passivated with Al2O3.

Your thinking about AB wording sounds correct, it can be argued they are both OK or both wrong.Borek

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you again! My teacher makes his tests exactly like the AP Test, except half as long. They are very difficult, which means he makes a big curve, so I always get an A :).

Hi.
1. Correct!

2. Correct!

3. Ni2+ + S2- --> NiS(s)
NiS is solid black substance. It doesn't dissolve in water.

4. PH3 + BCl3 --> PH3BCl3
PH3BCl3 is solid, PH3 and BCl3 are gasses.

1. What is a net ionic equation and why is it important?

A net ionic equation is a chemical equation that shows only the relevant species (ions and molecules) involved in a chemical reaction. It is important because it simplifies the representation of a chemical reaction and helps to focus on the key substances and their role in the reaction.

2. How do I write a net ionic equation?

To write a net ionic equation, you must first write the balanced molecular equation for the reaction. Then, identify the strong electrolytes (compounds that dissociate completely in aqueous solution) and break them down into their constituent ions. Finally, cancel out the spectator ions (ions that appear on both sides of the equation) to obtain the net ionic equation.

3. What is the difference between a net ionic equation and a molecular equation?

A molecular equation shows all substances in their complete molecular form, while a net ionic equation only shows the relevant species involved in the reaction. Molecular equations are often used to show the complete picture of a reaction, while net ionic equations are used to focus on the key substances and their role in the reaction.

4. Can a net ionic equation be used for all types of chemical reactions?

Yes, a net ionic equation can be used for all types of chemical reactions, including acid-base reactions, precipitation reactions, and redox reactions. However, it is important to note that not all reactions will have spectator ions that can be cancelled out, so a net ionic equation may not always be possible.

5. When should I use a net ionic equation instead of a complete ionic equation?

A complete ionic equation shows all the ions present in a reaction, including spectator ions. It is useful for understanding the individual ion interactions in a reaction. A net ionic equation, on the other hand, only shows the relevant species involved in the reaction and is useful for simplifying the representation of a reaction. Therefore, a net ionic equation can be used when the focus is on the key substances and their role in the reaction, rather than the individual ion interactions.