Game Theory: No Winning Strategies

In summary: What's a simultaneous game?A game is simultaneous if the players can't decide which move to make until both players have made their moves.
ehrenfest
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_theory

It can be proven, using the axiom of choice, that there are games—even with perfect information, and where the only outcomes are "win" or "lose"—for which neither player has a winning strategy.) The existence of such strategies, for cleverly designed games, has important consequences in descriptive set theory.

I am confused about this. Can someone give me an example of a game with perfect information in which neither player has a winning strategy?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, tic-tac-toe comes to mind.

I assume ehrenfest was asking for an example that satisfied the hypotheses in the quoted passage -- specifically, the only outcomes are "win" and "lose".

Alas, the page doesn't give a precise definition of "game" and "winning strategy"; without that, I couldn't really speculate. But since the article suggests the axiom of choice is needed, such games probably aren't explicitly constructible.

What kind of a game is not explicitly constructible?

Does that mean that if I get asked a question about a specific game on a test, I can assume that one player has a winning strategy? Can one prove that for explicitly constructable games?

A strategy is winning if the player following it must necessarily win, no matter what his opponent plays. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Determinacy#Winning_strategies)

Example 1: Rock, paper, scissors.

Example 2:
___________Column player__
___________Left ____ Right__
Row player:
Up.....(1, 0)...(0, 1)
Down...(0, 1)...(1, 0)

If CP plays L, RP wins by playing U, but if CP plays R, RP wins by D.
If RP plays U, CP wins by playing R, but if RP plays D, CP wins by L.

I don't think rock paper scissers is a game in the game theory sense.

ehrenfest said:
I don't think rock paper scissers is a game in the game theory sense.
Why not?

Okay, I guess its an example of a simultaneous game.

1. What is game theory?

Game theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the strategic decision-making of individuals or groups in competitive situations. It involves analyzing the potential outcomes of different strategies and how they may be influenced by the actions of others.

2. What does it mean when there are no winning strategies in game theory?

When there are no winning strategies in game theory, it means that there is no single optimal decision or set of decisions that will guarantee a player's success in a game. In these cases, players must consider the actions and potential reactions of their opponents in order to make the best possible decision.

3. Can game theory be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, game theory can be applied to a wide range of real-life situations, such as business negotiations, political campaigns, and even personal relationships. It can help individuals and groups make more strategic decisions by considering the potential actions and reactions of others.

4. Are there any limitations to game theory?

While game theory can be a useful tool for decision-making, it does have some limitations. It assumes that all players are rational and have perfect information, which may not always be the case in real-life situations. Additionally, it cannot account for factors such as emotions or ethical considerations.

5. How can game theory be used to solve conflicts?

In some cases, game theory can be used to find a solution to a conflict by identifying a "Nash equilibrium," which is a strategy that no player can improve upon by changing their own strategy. However, in situations where there are no winning strategies, game theory can help individuals or groups understand the potential outcomes of different decisions and make the best choice based on their goals and priorities.