Text instead of Images - Firefox 3.0.12 in Ubuntu 9.04

• Bug
  • Thread starter NeoDevin
  • Start date
In summary, there have been instances where instead of an image, text appears for certain buttons on the website. This is likely due to a browser issue, such as a transparent proxy server, and clearing the browser's cache may help. However, there may not be a solution on the website's end.
NeoDevin
In some cases, instead of an image, I get text. I have noticed this happen with the "first new post" buttons (screenshot attached), and the "multi quote" buttons in particular. It's possible that it has happened to other buttons as well, but that I haven't noticed it.

I am using firefox 3.0.12 in Ubuntu 9.04

Attachments

• Screenshot.png
    Screenshot.png
    49.8 KB · Views: 406
Physics news on Phys.org
This generally happens when your browser cannot (for various reasons) download the image. Instead, it displays the "alt text" that goes along with the image. The most common cause is probably a transparent proxy server upstream of you. Try clearing your browser's cache and see if anything improves, but there may not be any way for us to fix the problem on our end.

- Warren

Last edited:
Looks like a normal tooltip popup in your screen to me.

What is the benefit of using text instead of images in Firefox 3.0.12 on Ubuntu 9.04?

The benefit of using text instead of images is that it reduces the loading time of web pages, improves accessibility for users with visual impairments, and makes the website more lightweight and responsive.

How can I enable text instead of images in Firefox 3.0.12 on Ubuntu 9.04?

To enable text instead of images, go to the Firefox menu and select "Preferences". In the "Content" tab, click on the "Advanced" button next to the "Enable JavaScript" option. Then, uncheck the box next to "Load images automatically" and click "OK".

Will all websites display properly when using text instead of images in Firefox 3.0.12 on Ubuntu 9.04?

No, some websites may not display properly when using text instead of images. This is because some websites use images for important design elements that cannot be replaced with text. However, most websites will still be functional and readable.

Are there any other benefits to using text instead of images in Firefox 3.0.12 on Ubuntu 9.04?

Yes, besides the previously mentioned benefits, using text instead of images can also improve the website's SEO (Search Engine Optimization) as search engines can read and index text more easily than images.

Are there any downsides to using text instead of images in Firefox 3.0.12 on Ubuntu 9.04?

One potential downside is that websites may not look as visually appealing without images. Additionally, certain features like image galleries or visual instructions may not work without images. However, these downsides can be mitigated by selectively enabling images for specific websites if needed.