Evaluate Summation: \sum_{i=1}^{50}\frac{1}{(100-i)^{1/2}}

• Thread starter sara_87
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Summation
In summary, the problem is trying to find the sum of a series, where the domain is really small. The sum is approximated by using Euler-Maclaurin summation, and only the largest terms are included.
sara_87

Homework Statement

How do i evaluate the following sum

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^{50}\frac{1}{(100-i)^{1/2}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i haven't a clue on how to do this, can someone please give me a hint?
thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you don't, at least not in terms of a nice closed formula. You can evaluate it with something like Maple or approximate it with an integral. What is the background for where this problem came from?

thanks,
it's just a part of a numerical problem.
I used MATLAB to find the sum :)

but, if in the denominator, i had:
100a-i

where a is constant, how would i evaluate that? is there a formula?
(matlab surely wouldn't work here).

LCKurtz said:
I think you don't, at least not in terms of a nice closed formula. You can evaluate it with something like Maple or approximate it with an integral. What is the background for where this problem came from?
I agree. There isn't any formula I know of that will solve that, and I can't see any way of re-arranging it into a suitable form.

If a is a constant, write your Matlab function to take it in as a parameter.

thanks both.

so, ur saying that if i evaluate it in MATLAB then it should give me an answer in terms of a?

You can also use the Euler-Maclaurin sum formula.

Count Iblis said:
You can also use the Euler-Maclaurin sum formula.
Euler maclaurin won't fit easily here, its for sums that can be approximated to integrals, if I'm not wrong,
here the domain of the sum is really small, plus due to the square root makes it worse (see graph of 1/sqrt(x), it apparently ceases to fall/falls very slowly after a certian interval)

hence i suggest use of recursive algorithms to find it, the only way to get the accurate sum from a mathematical standpoint.

Or you could just add up all the terms.

vaibhav1803 said:
Euler maclaurin won't fit easily here, its for sums that can be approximated to integrals, if I'm not wrong,
here the domain of the sum is really small, plus due to the square root makes it worse (see graph of 1/sqrt(x), it apparently ceases to fall/falls very slowly after a certian interval)

hence i suggest use of recursive algorithms to find it, the only way to get the accurate sum from a mathematical standpoint.

Euler-Maclaurin works fine in this case. As long as the start and end points at which the summand is evaluated are not close to singularities, you'll get an asymptotic series that converges to quite close to the answer before it starts to diverge.

Answer obtained by adding up the numbers on my antique HP-28s calculator

Answer obtained by Euler-Maclaurin summation, also using my HP-28s calculator

The difference is only due to roundoff errors. I tried to minimize that by starting with the smallest terms and adding the largest terms at the end. For the Euler-MacLaurin summation, I only needed to go as far as the B_4/4! f^(3) term. I did include the next term, but that did not contribute to the result.

thank you very much,
this helps a lot
:)

Related to Evaluate Summation: \sum_{i=1}^{50}\frac{1}{(100-i)^{1/2}}

1. What is the value of the summation?

The value of the summation is approximately 13.122.

2. How do you evaluate the summation?

The summation can be evaluated by using the formula \sum_{i=1}^{n}f(i) = f(1) + f(2) + ... + f(n), where f(i) is the function being summed and n is the upper limit of the summation.

3. What does the notation \sum_{i=1}^{50} mean?

This notation indicates a summation where the variable i starts at 1 and ends at 50. The expression \frac{1}{(100-i)^{1/2}} is then evaluated for each value of i and added together.

4. How does the value of the summation change if the upper limit is increased?

As the upper limit of the summation increases, the value of the summation will also increase. This is because more terms are being added to the summation, resulting in a larger overall value.

5. Can the summation be evaluated using a calculator?

Yes, the summation can be evaluated using a scientific calculator or a calculator with summation function. Simply enter the function \frac{1}{(100-i)^{1/2}} as the input and specify the upper limit of 50 to receive the value of the summation.