Solar eclipse - magnitude and albedo

In summary, the apparent magnitude of the Moon directly before a solar eclipse can be calculated using Pogson's equation and the given information on the albedo of the Earth and Moon. The result is an apparent magnitude of -1.05.
Numeriprimi
Hello, everyone.
On physics Olympiad in our country I get a interesting example... But, I didn't know how to solve it.
Can you tell me how?
It is known that the Moon when it is full has the apparent magnitude of approximately -12 mag and the Sun during the day has the apparent magnitude of -27 mag. Try to figure out what is the apparent magnitude of the Moon directly before a solar eclipse, if you know that the albedo of the Earth is approximately 0.36 and the albedo of the Moon 0.12. Presume that light after reflection disperes the same way on the surface of both the Moon and Earth.

Hmm... I know Pogson's equation. So I know the I_Moon/I_Sun thanks for it. I also know, how looks position of solar eclipse. However, this is everything. I know what is albedo, ok, but any equation between magnitude and albedo? No, really no :-(
Please, give me a advice.
Thank you very much and sorry for my bad English :-)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Numeriprimi said:
Hello, everyone.
On physics Olympiad in our country I get a interesting example... But, I didn't know how to solve it.
Can you tell me how?
It is known that the Moon when it is full has the apparent magnitude of approximately -12 mag and the Sun during the day has the apparent magnitude of -27 mag. Try to figure out what is the apparent magnitude of the Moon directly before a solar eclipse, if you know that the albedo of the Earth is approximately 0.36 and the albedo of the Moon 0.12. Presume that light after reflection disperes the same way on the surface of both the Moon and Earth.

Hmm... I know Pogson's equation. So I know the I_Moon/I_Sun thanks for it. I also know, how looks position of solar eclipse. However, this is everything. I know what is albedo, ok, but any equation between magnitude and albedo? No, really no :-(
Apply Pogson´s equation to that.
The given facts are:
Moon is stated 15 magnitudes, that is by Pogson equation 1 million times dimmer than Sun. (The real difference is more like 14 magnitudes, but compute on the stated numbers).

The albedo of Earth is 3 times that of Moon. The area of Earth is about 14 times that of Moon. Therefore Earth is about 42 times brighter than Moon - 4,05 magnitudes brighter than Moon. Thus 10,95 magnitudes dimmer than Sun.
If Moon lit by Sun is magnitude -12, then Moon lit by full Earth that is 10,95 magnitudes dimmer than Sun should be 10,95 magnitudes dimmer than full Moon - therefore -1,05.

1. What is a solar eclipse?

A solar eclipse occurs when the moon passes between the sun and the Earth, blocking the sun's light and casting a shadow on the Earth.

2. What is magnitude in relation to a solar eclipse?

Magnitude is the measure of the size of the moon's shadow on the Earth during a solar eclipse. It is typically expressed as a percentage of the sun's diameter that is covered by the moon.

3. Can the magnitude of a solar eclipse change?

Yes, the magnitude of a solar eclipse can vary depending on the position of the moon in its orbit. A total solar eclipse has a magnitude of 100%, while a partial solar eclipse has a lower magnitude.

4. How does the albedo of the moon affect a solar eclipse?

The albedo of the moon, or its reflectivity, can impact the brightness of a solar eclipse. A moon with a higher albedo will reflect more sunlight and make the eclipse appear brighter, while a moon with a lower albedo will make the eclipse appear darker.

5. How often do solar eclipses occur?

Solar eclipses occur about twice a year, but they are not visible from all parts of the world. Some areas may not see a solar eclipse for several years.