Angular momentum of lectromagnetic fields?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of momentum and angular momentum in electromagnetic fields and asks for resources to better understand these topics. The recommendation is to read Feynman Lectures Volume II, specifically chapters 27 and 28, for a thorough explanation.
Hassan2
Angular momentum of lectromagnetic fields?!

Dear all,

I have recently read that an electromagnetic filed has has momentum and even angular momentum. For example, I read a paper in which the torque on a body in a magnetic field was calculated by taking the derivative of the angular momentum of the magnetic field! (We didn't have such topics in our textbooks when I was a student ) Perhaps people here can help me understand it easier and faster.

1. What does momentum and angular momentum of an electromagnetic field mean?
2. Do you know of some materials or tutorials to teach such topics in a simple language ?

Your help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Feynman Lectures Volume II Chapter 27 has an excellent discussion of electromagnetic energy and momentum, and it touches on angular momentum as well. After you're done with that chapter, I recommend reading chapter 28 on the mass stored in the electromagnetic field; it's my favorite chapter in the book.

Thanks. I found the lecture notes, chapter 27 and will study it when I'm free.

FAQ: Angular momentum of lectromagnetic fields?

1. What is angular momentum of electromagnetic fields?

Angular momentum of electromagnetic fields refers to the rotational energy possessed by an electromagnetic field. It is a measure of the amount of rotation that exists in an electromagnetic field.

2. How is angular momentum of electromagnetic fields calculated?

The angular momentum of an electromagnetic field is calculated using the formula L = r x p, where L is the angular momentum, r is the position vector, and p is the linear momentum of the electromagnetic field.

3. What is the significance of angular momentum in electromagnetic fields?

Angular momentum plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior and properties of electromagnetic fields. It helps in determining the direction of rotation, stability, and conservation of energy in these fields.

4. Can angular momentum be transferred between electromagnetic fields?

Yes, angular momentum can be transferred between electromagnetic fields through interactions such as scattering, absorption, and emission of electromagnetic radiation. This transfer affects the rotation and direction of the fields.

5. How does the angular momentum of electromagnetic fields relate to the spin of particles?

The angular momentum of electromagnetic fields is related to the spin of particles through the spin angular momentum of particles. The spin of a particle is the intrinsic angular momentum it possesses, which is a fundamental property of particles and is closely linked to the angular momentum of electromagnetic fields.